Chapter 13: Above the Crowd

The songs are Nothing Stopping Me by Vicetone ft Kat Nestel and Porcelain Face by 4 Door Theatre

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucinda left me as the DJ's booth while I picked out a song. I decided to go through my playlist on my phone until I found one. I glanced at my table of friends to see all of them looking at me.

Except for Garroth.

I let out a deep sigh and showed the DJ the song. He nodded and looked it up. When he had it I walked over to the stage and waited for the music to start. Hopefully this song would make be feel a bit more confident.

Just when I realized
You been shutting me out
I start to reach for the sky
And nothings falling down

I began to tap my foot to the beat, getting into the song as I got less and less nervous.

Everybody knows how the story goes
But Fairy Tales have been Lying to me
Every time I try, you just run and hide
Now I'm finally feeling free

I shut my eyes, enjoying the song as a small smiled formed on my face.

Tell me can you see me now
While I rise above the crowd
Who would've known I'd make it out
Your broken world, no
You thought you tore me down
I'm not giving up, now you know
So tell me now, rising above
And nothing's stopping me now

Now I know my feet
They won't fail me now
So thanks for showing me
All that I am about

I loved this song. It always made me feel confident. People would always thing it was meant for someone specific, but every time I sang it I felt like I was talking to myself. I was telling my fears and pain that it won't be dragging me down anymore.

It never really happened. They were just more crushed dreams.

I finished off the song, opening my eyes. I didn't realize how into the song I was. From how exhausted I felt, I could tell I had been jumping around and dancing a bit.

The crowd was clapping and I smiled at them all. I nervously put the mic back in the stand and hopped off of the stage. I rushed back over to the table and quickly sat down, gulping down my drink.

All eyes were on me and I could feel my heart beat pick up. I tried to avoid their gazes, but it wasn't working.

I finally slammed my drink down, causing some soda to spill out. "Will you guys stop staring at me?! It was just a little song," I snapped. Everyone snapped out of their trances as Lucinda leaned forward in her chair.

"Can't sing my ass!" She called out. I felt my face heat up as I looked down at my lap.

I looked up at and smiled a bit. "I'm just a bit self conscious, okay?" Lucinda let out a deep sigh and leaned back. 

Our food was brought out soon after and the conversations carried on. I glanced over a Garroth and saw he had barely touched his plate. I frowned and looked at him to see he was staring at his plate mindlessly.

I nudged him and smiled a bit. "Don't make me eat that food for you," I threatened. "Got something on your mind?" I asked. Garroth glanced at me and shrugged.

He finally took a bit off of his plate. "I'm thinking about trying some karaoke," He said, glancing over at the stage where a couple was singing a duet.