Chapter 4: He Knows

I looked at the clock. Ten O'clock. Aaron said he'd be back around now. I chewed my lip. As far as everyone knew, I was still asleep. I wished I was, but I couldn't sleep well after last night.

I still tried though. I had my eyes closed for forever until I would decide to check the clock.

A knock on the door, brought me out of my wandering thoughts. I closed my eyes, acting like I was sleeping. The door creaked open and I heard Aaron whisper, "Y/N." I opened my eyes and sat up.

Aaron held a small bag in his hand and tossed it to me. "There's another bandana in there, but with thinner fabric, so it'll be easier to see out of, and I got you some of those reflective sunglasses along with some regular black ones. I nodded and pulled out the black ones, putting them on.

I looked at Aaron. In my lack of sleep I started trying to control how to switch back and forth. I allowed myself to get angry and saw the red and orange rims. Aaron smiled. "You can hardly tell," He told me. I smiled and climbed out of the bed.

"Great. Now out. I need to get ready," I told him. Aaron laughed and closed the door. I quickly got dressed before peeking out of my room. My sunglasses on as I made my way down the stairs for breakfast.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Melissa greeted. I waved at her, tiredly. "You okay?" She asked, causing my to nod my head. "What's with the sunglasses?" She asked.

I gave her a small smile. "I have a bit of a migraine so I thought the sunglasses would help," I told her. Melissa smiled, nodding. "Well I hope you feel better," She wished. "We're gonna go to the beach later and hang out if you're up for it."

I nodded. "I'll get over it for a trip to the beach," I laughed. Melissa smiled, sipping her coffee as she set a plate onto the counter, sliding it to me. "Thank you," I smiled, knowing she usually does that, hoping to look cool. She gave my a thumbs up while continuing to cook pancakes for everyone else.

I dug into my pancakes. cleaning my plate before anyone came down the stairs. Aaron and Aphmau appeared in the doorway and I waved. They waved back as I stood up. "I'm gonna go get ready to head to the beach," I smiled before heading upstairs to my room.

All I planned to do was grab some sunscreen and a towel, but I wanted to make sure I had some sort of grip on my eyes.

I pulled my glasses off and sighed, taking a deep breath. I tried to think of something that would anger me, which was hard because there weren't a lot of thinks that made me mad.

I thought back to times I had gotten mad.

I heard yelling form upstairs and knew exactly what was happening. Dad was getting onto Aaron again. I sucked in a sharp breath and turned to go up the stairs. Mom grabbed my arm, pulling me back.

"Y/N, you know it's not safe to go upstairs," She warned. I clenched my jaw. Aaron didn't deserve to be treated like this, he didn't ask for the curse.

"Mom, I don't care. Aaron didn't ask for this curse and he didn't do anything wrong!" I ranted, mom didn't seem to agree.

She looked at me. "He left campus without permission and without his guards. I think that is reason enough," She confirmed.

I wanted to punch something. A wall maybe. "He wouldn't be wanting to leave so much if he was allowed to have a life. Everything he's done is because he wants a life. He's trying to make friends and you guys scold him like he ripped someone's head off!" I shouted. I snatched my arm from my mom's wrist and made my way up the stairs.

I opened my eyes, met with a flicker before the fiery color took over my eyes. I inhaled deeply and counted to ten. The color slowly faded to my E/C eyes and I smiled. I'll be able to handle this. Even if I do loose control, Aaron will be there to help.

I pulled my glasses back on and grabbed my things. I decided to leave my phone so it wouldn't get ruined and put it on the charger in the mean time.

I was interrupted from brushing my hair out when my door burst open. Garroth waltzed in and picked my up, throwing me over his shoulder like I was a feather.

My glasses almost fell off as I adjusted them. "Garroth!" I shouted as he carried me down the stairs. "What in the world are you doing?!" I demanded.

Garroth let out the dorkiest giggle I've ever heard before responding. "I've been told to retrieve you," He declared as he walked out the door, heading for the beach. I peeked around him and saw everyone over by the shore or in the water.

My eyes widened as Garroth headed straight for the water. "Garroth! Don't you-" I was cut off as I was dropped into the water, much like Melissa did our first day here.

I decided to get revenged by staying under the water as long as I could. When I needed air, I allowed myself to float to the surface, faced up, and my lips parted as I allowed air to flow into my lungs, but kept my stomach flat. A skill I had learned after doing this trick several times.

I heard splashing around as I was lifted out of the water. The water uncovered my ears as I could hear properly. I heard laughing and Aaron's voice nearby. "Garroth, it's just a joke, calm down," Aaron warned. I sat up, looking at Aaron.

"Come on! Why do you have to ruin my fun!" I pouted. Instead of laughing it off, Garroth was startled and his arms disappeared form beneath me. I was caught off guard as I inhaled a mouthful of salt water.

I quickly surface, coughing up water. My nose and throat burned as I took a moment to get rid of the burning in my nose and throat. I felt patting on my back until my coughing stopped. I opened my eyes to the shore and noticed the red rims. I quickly closed them and rubbed my eyes. "Where are my sunglasses?" I groaned.

I felt someone put them in my hands and I put them on. I sighed and looked around, seeing my sunscreen floating on the water. I quickly snatched it and headed to shore so I could dry off and put it on.

While I was waiting, I watched everyone have fun in the water. I smiled as everyone was having fun. Garroth got out of the water and sat next to me. "Sorry about dropping you into the water. I got a bit startled," He mumbled. I smiled and shrugged it off.

"Don't worry about it, it was a small mistake," I told him, patting him on the back.

I began putting my sunscreen on. I felt Garroth lean over as his breath fanned me ear. "I know about your eyes, Y/N. I'll talk with you more about it later." I froze as Garroth ran off.

My eyes followed him as he got back in the water, having fun as if nothing had happened.

Aaron gave him a narrow look as he gave me an 'are you okay?' look. I nodded and finished up my sunscreen before running into the water.