9: Beauty queen

Lekki, Lagos.
Present day.

Karen Thomas was having a girls' day out with her best friends, Simi and Lola. The three girls have been been friends since high school and were still together even now. Even more so, after the girls helped Karen in her devious plans five years ago.

Presently, they were among the most popular girls in Lekki running their own crowd, with occasional clashes with the 'Sparkling wines' girls consisting of Bella, Ivory and Shanelle. Karen and her friends were more conservative and classy and tried not to get into altercation with the other trio. They were considered slutty and beneath them.

Today, they were inside Hairs and Nails beauty salon to get a makeover. It was Lola's birthday tomorrow and they wanted to look their best. Lola, the birthday girl was getting the whole treat consisting of manicure, pedicure, spa and hair weaving. Simi was a nails girl and opted for the manicure and pedicure while Karen focused on getting her weaves done. Now, she and Lola sat next to each other on a gist about latest gossips after having their hair washed and were getting it dried in the hair dryer.

For some weird reason, she had been out of town last weekend on a date with an Abuja-based businessman who was interested in having a relationship with her. She wasn't sure she wanted to relocate because of love. She hadn't done it when Lucas relocated there despite how much she loved him, so she had turned him down but had accepted to remain friends. The poor man even seemed serious about being with her. Now she was telling Lola all about it.

"He's really handsome, even sexy when you think hard about it. He's rich too, drives a G-wagon and has his own business. I checked and he's the real deal. But I don't think I can move to Abuja because of a relationship. It's too much hassle."

Lola nodded sympathetically. "I understand but it doesn't mean he's a lost cause. If you don't want him, tell him I'm willing to move to Abuja for him," she said dreamily, and they burst out laughing.

"You sound desperate, girl. Hold your horses, we're still treading waters here," Karen cautioned, laughing at Lola's annoyed look.

Simi done with her nails bounded up to the girls, smacking her gum loudly. "What did I miss? I overheard you guys laughing." She asked, moving to sit on a chair opposite them barely holding their gaze as she was busy scrolling through her rose gold iPhone covered with shiny pink rabbit ears.

Lola and Karen stared at her and shook their head in dismay. Simi was addicted to her phone, actually she was addicted to social media. She loved the attention she got on all of them and probably couldn't live without them. She was a lost cause, really.

"Some hot sexy guy is tripping for Miss beauty queen and she's playing hard to get," Lola answered, rolling her eyes at Karen.

"No, that's not true, Lola. I only said I'm still undecided," Karen denied vehemently with a straight face.

"And we all know why, right?" Simi supplied, taking a break from her phone. She stared at Karen, daring her to deny it.

Karen blushed and averted her gaze. Lola's jaw dropped open. Simi burst out laughing uncontrollably.

"You've got to be kidding me. Karen, it's been five years. You should be over him already," Lola cried in disbelief with her sockets popping.

When Karen kept mute, Lola muttered 'unbelievable' eyeing her friend angrily. Five years ago, she had been onboard the ship of craziness that Karen had come up with. According to her, it was a ploy to help her get back the man she loved. It had worked, in fact, a lot better than they had hoped for, but when said love of her life disappeared a month later without leaving as much as a forwarding address, and had completely ignored her when she found out where he was staying, the girls had been forced to use their tongue to count their teeth. But by the latest admission, it was obvious Karen was yet to get over what she felt for that silly billionaire playboy. Lola was stupefied beyond words.