17: First visit

Sara woke up bright and early that Saturday morning in readiness of her visit to Lucas' mansion. This was the first week after their supposed arrangement on Monday. They had agreed weekends were best for the mother-son bonding, as Lucas was pretty adamant about Freddie getting the best education. The agreement had been written and signed such that she was to keep the nature of her relationship with Freddie secret. Her presence in his life was temporary and Lucas was very much unyielding.

Yesterday, she had been too nervous about today so she ran off to the mall to pick up a few candies and chocolate bars. Lucas wouldn't tell her what he liked or not, purposely making her work harder but she admitted finding it out on her own was probably best. She had also bought coloring pencils and books and a few superhero comics. He was either like her or her ex-husband she decided. Then she had picked up a Spiderman sling bag and stuffed everything she bought inside. Now as she stared at the bag, doubt made her wonder if her gift had been too small or unnecessary. Would he like her gift or not?

According to their arrangements, a Toyota highlander Jeep from CAPPEL would come pick her up at her apartment and drive her to the mansion. The same jeep would then take her back when they were done so she hurriedly went to prepare. She didn't want the poor driver to be waiting for her when he arrived.

Thirty minutes later, she was ready and eager to go but was dismayed when she saw no jeep parked outside. Dispelling a nervous breath, she busied herself with worrying about her look. She wore a grey knee-length gown with cap sleeves, black pumps and added minimal makeup. Her curly weave-on was packed up in a bun leaving a few curls to frame her face. She was meeting her son officially for the first time, so she wanted to make a great first impression. A knock sounded on her door and she opened it to find a middle-aged man stood at her door.

"Sorry to be a bother but I'm looking for a Miss Amadi. I'm here to pick her up. I was told this is her address," he explained.

"Yes, I am Miss Amadi but you can call me Sara." She nodded eagerly with a smile. "Since you'll be taking me back, perhaps I can know your name?" She asked, trying for courtesy.

"Gbenga, ma," he replied curtly, flashing her a benign smile. "Let's go if you're ready." He invited and Sara quickly left with him.

Less than an hour later and they were on their way into the mansion's driveway. This time, Sara knew he wouldn't humiliate her like before. He was here to introduce her to her son and that was all. At the thought of her son, her doubts crept back in with a vengeance. Would he love to meet her? Would he like to spend time with her? Did he miss his mother? She shook her head rapidly to dispel her reservations.

Tentatively, she climbed down from the car and walked up the steps, the same steps she had climbed two weeks ago that led to her humiliation. The door was opened by the doorman who ushered her into the house. Instead of the massive living area where he had hosted his party, she was led up the steps on familiar routes until they stopped at the double doors that housed his second floor living area. The doorman pulled open the double doors and allowed her to enter. She walked in to come face to face with a scene of near disarray.

Pillows of various sizes were thrown carelessly around the room, stuffed toys and cars decorated the glass table at the center of the room. At the west end, a train track was set in motion and Thomas the tank engine was moving about. Two people were running round the setup, making train noises and laughing loudly. Freddie was running around, shrieking and flying his arm about with Lucas at his heels, chuckling at his antics. It was obvious they were having fun, despite Lucas being dressed in an red blazers and white pants. He didn't look very businesslike, she thought.

He saw her first and paused midway, breathing hard. Freddie came skidding into him at full speed and before he could fall, Lucas reached out quickly and grabbed him, effectively breaking his fall.