10: First kiss

"Minister Darkle, I present to you..." Mr. Archibong ran ahead to go sit opposite the man on the sofa, smiling proudly.

"The billionaire Caspian-Asiegbu! Who doesn't know him?" heralded the man, interrupting Mr. Archibong.

"It's a pleasure to meet you sir." Lucas replied, moving to go exchange pleasantries. Mr. Darkle beamed eagerly, inviting him to sit beside Mr. Archibong on the sofa.

Then Mr. Darkle touched the lady on his right to go pour drinks for the men and Lucas's gaze followed at the action as the girl stood up. His eyes narrowed dangerously when he realized who it was.

"These girls are the best, Archibong. I don't know where you found them but I like 'em." The Minister chuckled, whistling lowly as the girl walked to the mini bar to pull out a drink. She held a bottle of whiskey in her hand as she strolled back to the sofa, effectively keeping her gaze from meeting Lucas's chilling glare.

"Do you fancy her, Lucas?" queried Mr. Darkle, breaking into his thoughts and pulling his focus away from the girl.

Lucas grimaced at his words. "I don't bed random women," came the retort, and the other two men burst out laughing. The girl brought a tray holding shots of the whiskey and placed it on the stool. The men accepted the drinks in readiness for a toast. Stealthily, the girl went to go stand near the door.

"Let's drink to the start of a prosperous and profitable alliance for us," Mr. Darkle said, while Mr. Archibong cheered before emptying his glass in one swallow and grimaced. Lucas gulped down his drink, and instinctively stood up.

"Excuse me, minister. I need to make an urgent phone call."

Without waiting for their reply, he was striding out of the room. He grabbed the girl by her arm furiously as he reached the door, pulling her with him as he exited the room, oblivious to Mr Darkle's words.

"He likes her."

Once they were a few meters from the door, she snatched her arm back, glaring at him.

"What do you think you're doing in there? This is beneath you!" He raged.

She scoffed. "You and I are no longer family, so you do not know what is beneath me."

"I doubt your sister agrees with you."

She fumed at his words. "I don't care what Sara thinks. She was a fool for divorcing you. She would have been so much happier if she had stayed!" She retorted, her eyes spitting fire.

They stood a few inches apart, but Tonya knew she could make great use of their situation. It wasn't like she was committing any great sin, unlike all those years ago she had refrained herself because he was married to her sister. He was male, virile and sexy. And definitely in need of female company. If his reputation was anything to go by, he would barely refuse her.

"If I were in her shoes, I would have never left you. I would have stayed glued to your side, till death do us part," she said, moving closer.

Lucas's brows creased at her words, checking to see if she was drunk. She must be, as she had never been bold enough to throw herself at him. She stood on tiptoe to kiss him, leaning in so close their lips almost touched, that is, until a female voice broke them apart.

"Stay away from him you whore!"

Lucas turned around at the familiar voice to find the former Miss Nigeria, beautiful Karen Thomas standing meters behind them. He looked at her in surprise but her gaze was focused on Tonya who was holding her stand with a glare of her own.

"Says pot while calling the kettle black," Tonya jabbed at her, daring her to deny it.

Karen fumed. "You are desperate, girl. I'm not the one who is degrading myself just so I could continue living like a queen."