37: Saboteurs

Lucas walked into his office in determined strides nearly flipping his lid. If what James said was true, then they really had a big problem. Martin and James were already sat on the two upholstery chairs facing the huge mahogany desk in his office when he took his seat.

"Tell me that this is a joke," he demanded, accepting the file James handed to him. It was a green file, which meant top secret, and that very few people had access to it. That it was found in an employee's desk screamed sabotage.

"It's not, Lucas." James was quick to squash his doubts. "I got a complaint from the production manager roughly two weeks ago who said he was asking too many questions but I brushed it off as nothing. That was until he started staying late hours claiming he had to go over the product strengths and weaknesses again," he explained grimly.

"That sneaky bastard!" Lucas grated, clenching his fists. Looking at James, he asked. "How do we know he has a partner? He was part of the committee for the production process and might have been working alone. This could have all been a huge misunderstanding!" He refused to believe his employee would go this far or that his partner would stoop so low.

James sighed dismissively before handing him a blue file. He pulled it open and glanced through it. This was the approved prototype for the new lubricants CAPPEL was planning to unveil towards the end of the year. No one was supposed to know about this.

"He definitely gave someone a copy of the exo 100 lubricant that we still have under testing. It's not supposed to be a known fact that we have it approved and ready for prospective buyers but I overheard him talking to someone on the phone about meeting a Chinese buyer, Mr. Zing, for a partnership before the unveiling," James explained.

He clamped his eyes shut dejectedly. A partnership with another investor before the official unveiling of the product meant certified decline in demand. "It's probably my fault that he had access to my office. I went for lunch break without securing my files. And I'm sure my secretary left the office too. Damn it. I should have seen this but I've just been distracted recently."

Martin eyed him knowingly. Of course, if he was trying to get over his feelings for Sara, he was sure to be distracted.

He looked away, ignoring his gaze. "What do we have? I need definite proof that he's a saboteur so we can take him away for life. I also need to be sure he's working with Mr. Archibong. I don't want to make a mistake and set off suspicions," he stated, making a mental note to set a bait and watch that snitch take it hook, line and sinker.

Martin nodded, going all business mode immediately. "The issue with the product is evidence enough but we will probably nail him with the camera feed inside your office."

Lucas groaned when he realized how the saboteur could have brazenly walked into his office to steal a confidential file. "The cameras are not working. The short circuit that happened two days ago affected them and I've been so busy I forgot to call maintenance."

Martin was flabbergasted. "Lucas?!"

It was rhetorical and he flinched on hearing his name. "I'm sorry, OK. You know how invested I get when I'm working on a new project. I sometimes even forget to eat. Help me call for maintenance, James, alright," he explained, leaning back in his swivel chair completely tired.

James shook his head in negation. "No, I'll get maintenance. We don't need him to know the cameras have been repaired. If he still thinks they're not working, he'll attempt to come steal another important file..."

"And we'll be there to catch him red-handed," Lucas finished for him, smiling at the plan.

Martin who had been studying the idea critically spoke up. "Now, we just need to set up the bait that we have a new confidential project which he would definitely steal and lead us right to his source."