24: Cinema date

Sara was stepping out of her office complex on Monday when she saw the Ford Explorer parked outside. She would have thought nothing of it if the occupant didn't step out and wherewith draw attention to himself. Their eyes met and she raised a quizzical brow at him but he merely smiled. She knew he said he wanted to try again with her but she didn't expect him to start it off at her office, and so soon.

She paused to watch him make his way over to come stand in front of her. He assessed her fully before commenting.

"I know showing up here at your workplace doesn't look very convenient but I'm a man on a mission. A mission to woo a beautiful lady."

She smirked. "Really? Even though we really shouldn't be doing this."

"I know, and that's why I decided that instead of jumping into a moving van like I was foolishly going for, let's go slow. Let's start off as friends and then we can have dates, flowers, chocolates and hugs. We can even get kisses if it works out well," He said.

She nodded. That sounded simple enough. "So why are you here? A friendship meeting?"

He chuckled, quite amused by her words. "We are friends already, and no, I'm not here for that," He clarified, digging a hand inside his suit pocket to pull out two tickets. "I came to ask you out on a date. A movie date at the cinema. Black Panther is showing and I think you'll love it."

She accepted the tickets and revised his words carefully. He was making an effort to try again because he said he likes her and she wondered if she was willing to cross that bridge again. It was obvious she was attracted to him but taking this step was going to lead to major jumps no matter how tentative it looked right now.

"Don't say no. I bribed a friend to get me those tickets 'cause they are selling like crazy," He prodded.

She looked up at his charming smile and nodded. She was attracted to him and that was all that mattered at this point. Everything else would have to take the back seat.

"Alright, let's go. I can't let this ticket go to waste."

He grinned then guided her to his car. Once they were settled into the car, he drove off.

The Lekki mall was busy despite it being a weekday, but the most congested section of it was the cinema. Two new movies were being shown today and tickets sold like crazy. People trooped in to go get popcorn and smoothies before the movie started. Lucas led her to the popcorn stand to order what she wanted. She ordered a big bowl for the both of them and two smoothies, then they made their way inside to go find their seats. They were seated on the fourth row from the back because he claimed it had a better view but Sara could see the ace up his sleeves.

"Are you comfortable?" He asked just before the movie started.

She nodded, pushing the bowl of popcorn to the armrest for it to be balanced between them. He reached out his arm on her headrest and she reclined into it, munching on the popcorn as the movie began to play.

The thriller had half the audience at the edge of their seat, while the other half, mainly the males here paid more attention to their dates, Lucas inclusive. He watched her laugh and shout and curse all through the movie when things went bad, wondering why he felt this way about her. It was like five years had not gone by between them, as though they were still married but reality was the mocking reminder that it would take a lot of work to get her to love him again, to trust him again. But he would not give up, he decided, especially now he was certain she was the very thing he needed in his life.

During the intermission, he followed her out of the cinema room to go stretch their legs and use the convenience.

"I noticed you spent the whole time watching me instead of the movie you bought expensive tickets for," She pointed out once they were outside.