47: Friday the 13th

She walked into the conference hall of the hotel with light steps and heavy breaths. A wedding reception was just rounding off in the smaller hall towards the left and seeing the newlyweds happily greeting their guests and gazing lovingly into each others eyes gave Sara the confidence she needed.

She was searched at the sliding doors of the conference hall before being directed to her seat. Luckily, she had gotten through to Martin at the last minute and he had hesitantly reserved a chair at the event for her. Once she got to her chair, she became nervous.

She hadn't really revised what she would say to him once she saw him. He didn't answer her call when she dialled  his number earlier and so probably had no idea she was here.

Sara appraised the hall searching for familiar faces and soon she saw her. Her weaves were straight and long, falling off her bare back in waves. She was sitting in front, in the VIP section next to her father, smiling pleasantly at guests who approached their table. On her right however, was the billionaire playboy himself, Lucas Caspian-Asiegbu.

He was looking dashing in his traditional three piece black dinner tuxedo, and undoubtedly was the cynosure of all, especially the female population but his facial expressions said it all. He'd rather be elsewhere than here. She noticed he looked very uncomfortable and then watched as he stood from his chair excusing himself from the Hall and Sara realized she could use this to her advantage.

Slowly, she stood from her chair and made her way quickly to the left side of the hall towards the same doors Lucas had exited through earlier.

She had almost made it past the doors when a lady clad in shimmering green dress suddenly appeared in front of her, blocking her way. She looked up to find Karen smirking at her.

"Hello. Can I help you?" Sara asked, her eyes darting between the door and Karen's face.

Karen eyed her, noting the sarcasm in her voice. "Yes, Sara, you can help me. One, I want you to stay away from Lucas cause he's mine. And two, tell that your gold-digger of a sister to keep her hands off him. You, Amadi's disgust me," she explained, a delicate hand placed on her waist.

Sara nodded, distracted by her intent. She didn't have the time nor the patience for Karen's jealousy. "If he's yours, I won't take him from you. I'll expect the same courtesy if he's mine."

Karen turned red in an instant, her eyes brimming with fire. "He cannot be yours, you've already lost him once..."

"And so did you," Sara retorted, completely tuned in to the conversation. "Let's get one thing clear, Karen. Lucas is a free man which means anyone can have him. So, he's not yours until he marries you." She finished, giving Karen the victory smirk. Then she turned and walked away, leaving a fuming  Karen glaring daggers at her back.

She walked through the doors, strolling through the hallways while searching for Lucas. She reached the door written convenience to find Martin exit from the men's bathroom. He grinned at her before they met halfway.

"Sara, you really came. And you are looking gorgeous," he commented, admiring her spaghetti strap turquoise blue mermaid gown and her curly weave-on cascading down her shoulders. She had paired it with her black strap heels and a black clutch. She looked lovely.

She blushed at his compliment and gave him a pleasant smile. "Thank you, Martin. You're looking lovely too."

He chuckled over her words. "This old thing? Nah, I just suddenly picked out a suit with matching shirt and tie in a hurry. I think I wore the back even," he said, eyeing his white shirt and navy blue suit with ample concentration.