42: Meeting the ex-in-laws

The Highlander Cherokee jeep that had been sent to come pick her up for the party rolled into the driveway of the glamorously exquisite castle that was the Caspian-Asiegbus family home on Sunday night. The house was lit decoratively with Christmas lights to favor the festive mood of the day. The house was full with family and friends of the Caspian-Asiegbus and a few close acquaintances.

Sara was a little apprehensive about coming to this house, since the last time had been that very day she was forced to give up her son. The valet pulled open the car door, allowing her to climb out. She stood at the beginning of the pathway for a few minutes, convincing herself that she was here strictly by invitation. No one would humiliate her for showing up uninvited all those weeks ago. The celebrant himself had personally requested to see her.

She ran a nervous hand through her shoulder-length weaves, loving the feel of the hair in her fingers. She continued her search down the length of her silver sequined gown with plunging neckline that accentuated her full breasts, briefly wondering if she had overdressed. She had paired it with dangling silver earrings and silver bracelet. Juliet had helped her get ready, claiming she was going to that party to win Lucas’s heart since she had admitted to herself that she may have fallen in love with him too.

Slowly, she placed one black stiletto covered leg in front of the other and walked determinedly to the house. She walked up to the door, ready to be swept away by the exquisite of the interior that always left her breathless.

The cobbled pathway led directly to the heavy oak double door which was wide open now and manned by a butler who directed guests into the house. Past the door, she was ushered into the foyer that was lined by ceramic white tiles that invariably covered the floors as was the off-white and cream colours that lined the walls of the house. Directly in front of her was the twin staircase that branched separately off the two sides of the house leading majestically into the first and second floors where the rooms were. She still remembered exactly which room was Lucas's.

To her left was the passageway that led to a massive ultramodern kitchen, a pantry and the servants quarters. She knew Mrs Caspian-Asiegbu loved cooking and always demanded her kitchen spotless and sparkling at all times. The pantry was indirectly another name for 'free food' as it was habit for some of the servants to disappear some foodstuffs without the knowledge of their employers. But it didn't even matter since the bosses hardly cared about it.

Although there was a hallway barricaded by heavy iron doors that led straight ahead to the lawn area where the party was taking place, her attention was diverted to her right, to the hallway that led into the elegance that was known as the living area.

The living area had a huge sparkling chandelier hanging from the ceiling, illuminating it. There was a two-way step-down that led into the massive living room and further to her right was the dinning area and a few paces later revealed the study.

The room had four red couches, three white sofas and two ebony armchairs all arranged alternatively in a nonagonal manner around the circular glass center table that was placed on top a black and gold patterned carpet. An LED TV, huge speakers, and a home theatre system adorned the right side of the room closest to where she stood, and was directly facing a set of three arch windows that overlooked the lawn area, bathing the room with a warm feel.

Paintings and family portraits adorned the room at strategic positions, giving off the feel of a happy family, which they undoubtedly were. There was a potrait of the parents dressed in traditional attires in one of the numerous chieftaincy title taking placed directly above a sofa. The next portrait that hung above an armchair was of the two children; Lucas and Amanda. He was dressed in an immaculate white suit and Amanda in a floor-sweeping white lace gown. The aura of wealth was exuding heavily from that picture judging by the majestic pose they striked.