43: Grandpa Fred

"Come on, let me take you to Grandpa Fred. He's been dying to meet you," Lucas said, suddenly changing the topic. Somehow, he was nervous and Sara sensed that it was because he wanted to tell her something.

"Okay," she concurred, deciding to focus on meeting the old man for now.

They made their way to the middle of the lawn where the reception was being held. Four tents, housing up to thirty persons with seating arrangements each, were adorning the huge garden. The tents were set up in a square motion with a smaller tent situated in the middle for the celebrant himself. People moved into the smaller tent to congratulate the old man who was smiling cheekily at them and grinning from ear to ear, obviously from having done a prank on someone. Aunt Sophia ran out of the small tent screaming profanities with her two best friends at her heels.

"How dare that cranky old man say I'm getting wrinkles?! I'm not even 50 yet!" She cried out, aghast as she scurried past the couple, oblivious to the eyes thrown at her display in attention.

Lucas and Sara reached the tent in time to find Grandpa Fred grinning from ear to ear. "That ought to keep her away from me the whole night," he stated with a satisfied smirk.

Frederick Omekannaya Caspian-Asiegbu, or Grandpa Fred as he was popularly called, was dressed in a navy blue suit with light blue shirt and a black and blue polka dot bowtie. His greying hair had been gelled and stylishly combed to give off the fact that he was still an authoritarian despite his age.

Lucas laughed lightly, bending to kiss his grandfather's cheeks. "Grandpa, what did you do now? Aunt Sophia was fuming just minutes ago."

The old man snorted at that. "Your Aunt Sophia is a pain in my neck, fussing over me like a child. As if I'll let her. So I put her and her cronies in their place. I don't need fussing after."

His grandson nodded. "No, you don't. You're quite capable of handling yourself."

"No thanks to you," retorted the old man glaring at him.

Lucas sighed audibly. "How many times do I have to apologize for ditching you, grandpa? I was really busy with work that period." He apologized for what was probably the umpteenth time.

"And Freddie was really busy with school, but he had time to play with me," He pouted, looking past Lucas to stare at Sara. "You know how stressful school is dear."

She nodded, trying to not laugh at the emotional blackmail Grandpa Fred was aiming for. "I agree with you, grandpa. Lucas was being inconsiderate."

The man in tux swung around rapidly to stare at her in perplexity. "You're not helping my case, Sara!"

Grandpa Fred eyed him before retorting. "Leave her alone, you scoundrel. You're being nice to me all of a sudden because of my will. Don't bother, I'm giving everything I own to my only great grandchild, my namesake, Freddie."

Obviously the whole family was used to the threat as Lucas rolled his eyes at his words, scoffing. "Your favorite great grandchild, grandpa. You have seven of them."

The old man frowned at the information before settling quietly. He had spent more time with Freddie, {because Lucas had chosen to come stay with him after his divorce than staying back in Lagos with his parents}, than any of his other great grandchildren for him to even bother with how many they were. Besides it was hard to keep count this days, seeing that the younger generation got pregnant before getting married.

Looking steadily at the couple standing in front of him, he noticed a familiar face. He couldn't believe it!

"Isabella, my sweetheart!" He cried, startling Sara for a second. He then spread his arms wide for a hug.