44: The kiss of betrayal

The night sky was brightly lit by the moon, the stars and the luminescence of fluorescent bulbs lining the area. They shined brightly in perfect synchronisation illuminating the lawn. The star-crossed lovers gazed into each other’s eyes that shimmered with love as they moved slowly on the dance floor to the music being played by the disc jockey. Inside their hearts, however, the tune was melodious as should the music of love. The night was perfect, as the gods had designed it to be, the exact atmosphere for romance.

The disc jockey slid in a different song that had the numerous couples on the dance floor gyrating happily to it, smiling at the evergreen memories of the music. It was an old time song of celebration: Appreciation by the legendary King Sunny Adé.

A while after, Lucas, who had spent the greater part of the evening admiring Sara's curves which were carved out beautifully by her gown and wondering how he got so lucky, bent his head to her left ear and whispered.

"Have I told you you're looking beautiful tonight?"

She hummed with a knowing smile. "Yes. But if I had a kobo for every time you've complimented me this evening, I'll be very rich before I leave."

He chuckled at her words, still in awe. "Consider yourself a rich woman already because you really are gorgeous."

She nodded, blushing. "Thank you."

They continued to dance to the melody of the music. Then it slowed down and another tune filled the speakers slowly to the joy of the dancers. It was ‘You and I’ by Onyeka Onwenu.

"Oh my! I love this song and it's my mother's favourite song too because of the romantic appeal. I can't believe they'll sing it at a birthday," Sara exclaimed excitedly, wondering at the impropriety of the song.

🎵you and I will live as one,
You and I will live as one,
You and I... 🎵

He nodded at her to look behind her and she did. Grandpa Fred was on the dance floor with his only daughter, and Martin's mother, Rita Oforah. She was obviously a replacement for her mother, his wife, as she guided him to join the dance pushing his wheel chair along. A few couples made way for the pair as they walked side by side to the middle of the dance floor.

"As a special birthday request, I want to have a daddy-daughter dance, papa. It's in honor of mama. Will you do me the honors?" Rita asked, staring at the old man.

He grinned amusedly as if he found her words funny then looked stoically at her and deadpanned. "No!" Which caused a gasp to escape from the crowd. "Go away. You're annoying like your brothers," he added, looking around the dance floor with a mischievous smirk playing on his lips.

Rita, as well as the rest of the Caspian-Asiegbu family and friends, stared at the old man in perplexity.

"I want to dance with my sweetheart, Isabella. Where is she?"

Sara heard a scoff behind her and turned around to find Lucas scowling. "How dare he? That sly old fox," he gritted out, his hold on her waist tightening. Gently, people standing in front of her moved to the side, allowing her to become visible to the old man's gaze. His face wrinkled up into a smile when he saw her.

"My Isabella!" He cried happily, stretching out his hand for a hug. He looked like a little child demanding for a lollipop.

She made to leave only for Lucas's hold to stop her. His eyes were narrowed as he dared his grandfather to insist on this ridiculous idea. The old man frowned instantly at his grandson's challenge. Two can play this game, he mused.