Name Game

Kehlani

My feet hit the ground hard once I start to move my legs a little bit faster. My heels dig into the sidewalk as I weave in and out of people who apparently have nowhere important to be. Must be nice. I can feel the heat from the concrete try to melt the bottom of my shoes, I'm afraid that if my foot is on the ground for too long I'll become a cartoon character and get stuck. August on the west coast was no joke, and it took no mercy on the poor college kid just trying to make it to her class. So quickly I move from my dorm room on one side of campus to my class on the other.

It was the first day of my freshman year of college, 2010. San Diego was my first choice for a university simply because it was the farthest higher level education away from home I could find. That and it had a incredible pre-med program that I can attend. It was the best of both worlds I guess.

I feel the wind take my skirt as I flash through the campus. It was the first day and I don't want to be late to class already. I didn't want to be that kid. But for some stupid reason they housed me on the other side of campus where all the athletes lurk which only further proves my theory that life is better by yourself. My roommate plays softball and she's already had three baseball guys over... again... today is my first day of attending school.

After a long and hot ten minutes I finally reach the building. I stand in front of the door and stare at it to make sure I was in the right place.

"Are you here for biology" someone asks and I turn around. I immediately look up and finally meet the strangers eyes.

There stood probably the prettiest man I have ever seen in my entire life. He was still young, but was very tall. He has bright blue eyes and dark brown hair. He had a really nice smile and a deep voice that shook you to the core. The wind picks up and his cologne goes into my nose and I happily inhale it. If I was a normal person I would be all over that.

"I am" I finally answer and he smiles.

"Sweet. Then I'm in the right place" he claims.

"Right" I say slowly turning away trying to get out of this conversation without making it awkward.

"Wait" he calls and I let out a long sigh. I turn back around and see that he had moved very close to me. I feel his shadow fall over me as he tries to get his words out. "What's your name" he asks and I laugh.

"There's 200 kids in this class, why do you want to know my name" I ask.

"I thought that maybe we can be friends" he shrugs.

"And what makes you think that" I question.

"I don't know... I don't know anyone else here" he claims.

"You don't know me either" I argue.

"I would like to get to know you" he claims and I just roll my eyes.

"Listen. I don't want to sound like an ass hole, but I want nothing to do with you. And don't take it personally, I don't want anything to do with anyone" I say and his eyes go big.

"Really" he asks.

"Something tells me you're not good with rejection" I notice.

"That's not it" he claims. "Just doesn't happen a lot" he mumbles.

"There's a first time for everything pretty boy" I say before walking into the class.

"You're really not going to tell me your name" he yells out.

"Maybe another time, in another life" I say going to take my seat.

I find a place near the front and sit down. The guy follows me in and sits a few seats to my right and in front of me. He pulls out his stuff and see that he had a baseball glove with him. I should have known he was a jock. What type of guy carries around a baseball glove anyway? Is he going to be throwing balls in class?