She's Always A Women To Me

Kris

I wish school came to me as easy as baseball did. And while I was and always have been a straight A student, it came after hard work and sweat and some tears. But. Mostly hard work.

It was really late one night and I had to stay up to finish a project. My roommate wanted to listen to music loudly and I was in no mood to play his little games he likes to play whenever I want something from him. So instead I excuse myself from the situation and head to the library.

But once I got there I noticed one slight glitch in my plan... it was nearly 11 pm and the library has been closed since 6. So I decide to find the nearest place with WiFi and stumble in there.

It was a cute little place, there was live music and the cafe part was still open until 2. So I get myself a pastry and a bottle of water before looking for a place to sit.

"Sorry baseball boy, the cafes full" a voice says and I smile because I knew exactly who that was. Only one person called me that and that was Kehlani.

"What are you talking about about, you're the only person here" I say sitting down next to her.

"And yet with a whole empty cafe you still decide that you want to sit next to me" she shuns and I laugh.

"What can I say? You got some good seats" I insist.

"I think I did pretty good" she smirks.

"So what brings you by this late are night" I wonder.

"I have sleeping problems and I wasn't tired. So I figured I could come get some relaxing tea and listen to music to get to bed" she explains. "What about you?"

"My roommate decided Now was the best time to discover Eminem. And while his music is great, it's no good for studying. So I went to the library not taking into consideration what time it was and saw that it closed. Now I'm here" I shrug.

"How do you always end up next to me" she wonders.

"Maybe It's fate" I say.

"Maybe it's chance" she counters.

"Maybe it's not" I reply and she just shakes her head.

"Well someone out there wants us together" she insists.

"Is it me" I ask and she just shakes her head.

"I mean besides you" she claims.

"I don't know... maybe you're right" I say.

After I finish my pastry I crack down on my studies. Kehlani acts as a private tutor as she helps me out like always. It certainly helps move things along and she had nothing better to do so she decided to help me.

Eventually the song changes and I stop writing. I smile big as I look into her eyes. 

"What's wrong? Why did you stop" she questions.

"I love this song" I insist.

"You know this" she questions.

"My parents raised me right" I insist and she starts to giggle. "Dance with me" I beg and he eyes go big.

"No way" she insists. 

"Come on, please. No ones even here and I love this song" I insist.

"Shouldn't you be working" she questions.

"I've been working all night, I need a study break" I claim.

"Then take a break" she argues.

"No. Come on. We're gonna dance" I insist as I grab her hand.

"Nooo" she whines as I pull her to a open area. I hold her close and she bites her lip so she won't smile. But I dip her backwards and she finally holds me back so she doesn't slip and fall. I return her upright so she's staring at me. The song continues on as we unconsciously sway back and fourth.

"She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child but she's always a woman to me

She can lead you to love, she can take you or leave you
She can ask for the truth but she'll never believe you
And she'll take what you give her as long as it's free
Yeah she steals like a thief but she's always a woman to me

Oh, she takes care of herself, she can wait if she wants
She's ahead of her time
Oh, she never gives out and she never gives in
She just changes her mind

And she'll promise you more than the garden of Eden
Then she'll carelessly cut you and laugh while you're bleeding
But she brings out the best and the worst you can be
Blame it all on yourself 'cause she's always a woman to me."

"You're pretty smooth" she admits as we dance together.

"Like I said, my parents raised me right" I assure her.

"They sound wonderful" she admits.

"They are. They're great. As they really want to meet you" I say and her eyes get big.

"What lies have you told them that made them want to meet me" she asks and I laugh.

"Jeeze. Have a little faith" I say.

"Most parents don't want to hear that their son is crazy over a girl that has been nothing but nasty to him" she claims.

"We're dancing in the middle of a cafe to a Billy Joel song at midnight, you're not nasty to me" I insist.

"I'm not nice either" she reminds me.

"You're a lot like this song says. Not a lot of people understand you or sees what I see. But what I found in you is nothing but beautiful. You might be a hassle but you're always worth it" I insist.

"You think I'm worth it" she asks and I smile.

"I know you are."

"Oh, she takes care of herself, she can wait if she wants
She's ahead of her time
Oh, she never gives out and she never gives in
She just changes her mind

She is frequently kind and she's suddenly cruel
She can do as she pleases, she's nobody's fool
But she can't be convicted, she's earned her degree
And the most she will do is throw shadows at you
But she's always a woman to me."