Not Enough

Kehlani

Kris and I arrive in Vegas Sunday morning after finals week. His parents pick us up from the airport and we get our things before they take us to their home. I was pretty excited to see what was in store for me here in Vegas but mostly relieved that I didn't have to go back home to New York.

Kris announces when we arrive to his home and I take a few seconds to take it all in. Eventually I get out the car and smile big as I walk up to the larger than life house. Kris slips his hand in mine as he pulls me to his the place where he was raised. He takes no time showing me around the place and making sure I was comfortable with the layout. Eventually we get up to his room and I smile big.

There was so many awards and accolades in here I felt like I was back at the baseball hall of fame. So many pictures of him and his family hung up I thought it was the cutest thing ever.

"Wow. Are you supposed to be good or something" I tease.

"When I left for college my dad said he was turning my room into something special. I didn't expect him to put every single award I ever won up. I mean some of this stuff is just participant things from t-ball. I think he went a bit overboard" Kris claims.

"I think it's cute. You're dad is so proud of you" I insist. 

"I know. He tells me every day" he says.

"Don't take that stuff for granted. It might be embarrassing or a little over the top, but you have a father who is in your life and loves you more than anything" I warn.

"I know I have it better than anything I would ever ask for when it comes to him. Without him there is no me. He was never just a coach or just a dad. He was everything to me" he explains.

"That's how it was with me and my dad when I was a little girl. My sister was a mommy's girl, I was a daddies girl. He took me to all the games and he showed me all the stuff he did. I remember that he used to tell me that the world was going to be ours. But I never wanted the world. I just wanted him to love me. I wanted him to love me and my sister and my mom. I wanted to be enough for him. But I guess I wasn't" I sigh.

"Look me" Kris says softly as he turns me around. I look up into his eyes and they were starting to get glassy. I don't talk about my dad a lot, but he's the only one who I've ever talked to about this so he's the only one I could talk to. "You're more than enough. Your father... he's a dumbass. I've never hated a guy I've never met, but there's a first time for everything I guess. But I hope he feels like shit. I hope he wakes up every day feeing like complete shit knowing that he was supposed to take care of his wife and he didn't. I hope it makes him sick to think that he has two wonderful young children out here without a father because he couldn't handle it.

I don't want you to think because you're Dad fucked up that makes you a fuck up. Because it's not true. He ruined a beautiful thing in the life you were on the path to have. You would have done anything for him and he knew that. Then he asked you to do the one thing no kid should have to do and that's to learn how to live life without him. You didn't deserve this, you didn't deserve to feel like this. You're a wonderful person and I hate that he took that from you" he insists.

"I've never heard you cuss that much. That was probably more cuss words in those few moments than I've heard you say the last nine months" I insist and he rolls his eyes.

"That's not the point" he whines.

"I know. The point is my dad is a ass hole. But if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have ever tried to get far from New York and I would have never ended up here with you. And I think that's a shame. I would take not having him around if that means having you around" I admit and he smirks.

"You mean that" he asks.

"I do" I smile. He pulls me into a long kiss and I think to myself... I could get used to this.

After we get settled in and Kris gets a lecture from his mom for not doing laundry then bringing home nothing but dirty clothes from college. After the shunning session he convinces her to let him go out and show me around the town. He obviously didn't live in the city but he showed me where he went to school and his favorite places to eat. After a while we find a nice little ice cream parlor and sit down to enjoy some sweetness.

I take a lick of my ice cream cone before letting out a long moan. 

"My god. This is delicious. What do they put in here" I ask.

"Love" he smirks and I roll my eyes. Of course.

"This is incredible. I've never had ice cream so good" I admit.

"I'm glad you like it" he admits.

"I already love it here. How in the world did you ever leave this place" I question.

"Because this will always be here for me. But my future... I have to go out and make that myself. And what I needed wasn't here. There's great baseball programs around here but none for me. So I went out looking for my future. And I found her" he smiles.

"You're cute" I smile.

"I try to be."