19. Peeta Mellark

Katniss hadn’t been the same since she saw Prim and her father again. Peeta could tell her mind was jumbled with thoughts that she couldn't comprehend. He wanted to help her, but he knew she wouldn’t allow it. That was just her way of dealing with it. 

A loud bang rang through. The other side of the street was turned to rubble. Dust splayed out out of the mess, and it came towards them.

Someone laughed. “Come out, come out wherever you are!” Snow cackled. Peeta caught Katniss’s hand just in time. She was about to load her bow.

“Think before you act. I know you hate him, we all do, but think before you do anything stupid. Please.” Katniss gripped the arrow tightly for a moment, but then nodded.

Another bang sounded. More rubble came crashing down, this time on their side. “I hate to break up your moment but,”Johanna pocked her head in-between Katniss and Peeta’s shoulders, “what are we gonna do if we aren’t going to fight?” 

Peeta looked over at Katniss. She nodded. “Spilt up. Make sure you don’t get caught, or covered in rubble. When I want to fight, I will give the mockingjay signal. Now, spilt!” Katniss commanded. She grabbed Prim's’ hand and rushed away.

Peeta caught up to Finnick and Johanna. They ran behind the buildings and weaved in and out of streets. By the time they stopped, Peeta wondered if they would even be able to hear the mockingjay call.

“You sure we will still be able to hear the mockingjay call?” Peeta asked between breaths. 

Finnick flashed his bright smile. “Of course we will! Don't worry about it. Only worry about not being killed, or caught.” Peeta sighed.

“So, is this all we are going to do for however much time?” Johanna asked, sitting down on the rough ground.

“I guess so.” Finnick said, leaning up against a wall.

“But that’s so boring! I just want to get this over with, and have stupid Snow dead!” Finnick and Peeta laughed.

“We all want him dead, but you have to remember that timing, is everything.” 

“You’re just like Katniss. Impulsive and you never think before you act. She wanted to go out there and kill him as soon as he called out. But, that wouldn’t be wise.” Peeta sighed.

“Anyone want a sugar cube?” Finnick held them out.

“Do you always have those stupid sugar cubes in you pocket?” Johanna asked in exasperation.

“Yes, they give me energy and not to mention they are nice tasting!” Finnick popped one in his mouth. “Is it a crime or something?”

“No…” Johanna grumbled.

“Well then, leave me to eat them in-” A bang sounded, and a loud scream followed. Finnick went rigid.

Snow laughed again. “Oh, it seems your little plan didn't work! I have captured one of your own! Oh, and look! It’s Mr. Everdeen!”

Johanna gasped. Peeta knew what was about to happen. The mockingjay call sounded, and they sprinted out of their hiding places, weapons at the ready.

Peeta quickly spotted Katniss, she was closest to Snow. His army of servants were blocking a clear path to him. “KILL HIM!” Katniss screamed, as she let fire arrows.

“KILL THEM ALL!” Snow commanded his army. They changed from rigid people, to swift, talented fighters in a matter of seconds.

Finnick swung is sickle ruthlessly at the army. Johanna did the same, but her face was cracked into a smile. Peeta stood back from the group. He had another mission to do.