REVIEW: THE SUMMER THAT WE SPENT APART

Admin writing review: CHBlackk

Author: aloststoryteller

Title: The Summer That We Spent Apart

Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Teenfic

The Cover: 7/10

I have mixed feelings about the cover. Though everything seems to be in place with title visible, author's name right there on the display and the pulling subtitle, I have a problem with the white borders at the top and the bottom of the cover and the font of the title - the second is just a personal preference. From what I've read I doubt there could be a better picture used for the cover. It's melancholic, absurd, like a heartbreaking, but I think it suits the nature and ambience of your book. 

The Description: 10/10

Alright, that was perfect! You opened the description with a cool quote that forms a bond between the potential reader and the story. What follows, the story of Ethan and the town is just extra pulling. Descriptions can be a hard thing to nail at least approximately, but yours is so professional, it's unnaturally good (that is... well, good). I've seen many descriptions for thrillers and they're usually very short with an intention to reveal as little as possible, so I was a bit reluctant when I saw you wrote quite a deal, but I'm not complaining. I think it acts even better since it's written with careful precision. 

The Plot: 10/10

It's just the nature of the plot that already intrigues me. I haven't read a similar thing like that before, so it was quite quite QUITE refreshing! You strike as the type of a writer that enchants the reader with deep descriptions and almost takes a step to the philosophical side. I can't even say which part was my favourite one. Your chapters are all different. One is deeper than the other, but there's always something new to take the reader away. I absolutely loved the time jumps you included with Before/After  deal, that is what most mystery authors lack in my opinion. 

The Characters: 10/10

They have passions, they have faults, they are hated, they are loved, they have secrets and they're realistic! In books I've read there are usually guys that are madly in love with girls and are just so overly happy it's stupid, but Ethan is aching because of his love for the girl. The way he sees the world is not so special as the way you portrayed it, which makes it completely unique. He reminds me of a sort of a bird in a cage. He has the privilege of being accepted, yet he's so different - I mean he loves the girl everybody hates. I hope to see more of Vesteriora soon!

Grammar & Punctuation: 9.5/10

I'm not sure what you mean by the chapters not being edited, 'cause they seem completely spotless! Maybe the only thing I noticed (and it could be wrong, btw!) is the overuse of commas. I think some of the commas don't belong there where you wrote them, but well, you said it's unedited (for whatever reason!). Though, I'm not the right address to point out punctuation mistakes - I suck at that.

Advice & Overall Thoughts: 

I want to apologise first. With everything being on my mind with tutoring and all, I completely forgot. You should've nudged me and demanded a review from me! back to the real thing here, my advice would be to get rid of the bolded text and just use the italics. I rarely see bolded text in books, unless it's like a text message or the beginning of a chapter and ofc, here on Wattpad for A/N's at the end of the chapters. My overall thoughts tho... It was very enjoyable to read this masterpiece!  I am a picky reader and sometimes I can drop a book very quickly, so from my side, it's a huge honour if I like something you wrote.