All The King's Men 24

I didn't edit this. I didn't even check it, I just put it up. I'll be honest and say I never thought I'd return to this story, I've been inactive in the Wattpad community for 3 years after numerous, arguments, misunderstandings etc. But I felt that I owed it to the people who read this story from the beginning to at least finish it. If you're still out there, this is for you.

Xoxo

*Anna's POV*

I chose him.  It wasn't an easy choice. I knew I was putting my life in danger, but there was no way I was going to let Ian suffer because of my past.  I turned off my emotions, the same way I always did when Marcus' used to come to me, and put on a calm demeanor. I couldn't let them know how scared I was. I made my way back into the restaurant, my heart pounding with each step. Jacqueline may have had the upper hand, but I wasn't planning on giving up without a fight.

"Stomach feeling well?" Jacqueline asked with a smirk as I took my seat.

"No, just a sudden feeling of nausea, I'm sure it'll pass soon" I answered cooly. 

Vera and Julie charttered on, unaware of the tension at the table. I took a sip of my water, trying to calm my shaky nerves. 

"So anyone have any plans today?" I asked forcing my tone to remain neutral.

"Vera and I were planning on hitting up this hot new club. She hasn't gotten out since her baby was born. Poor mama." Julie purred.

Vera smiled tightly. Maybe she could sense the tension at the table after all. I took another sip of my water. The conversation continued around me, as if my world was not currently coming apart at the seams. I could feel Marcus' eyes boring into the back of my head, but I refused to turn around.

"Aimee, are you alright?" Jacqueline asked suddenly, "you seem flushed." 

She clutched my arm. I tried unsuccessfully to wrench it from her grasp but it suddenly felt so heavy. 

"Your right, she looks sick. Should we get her home?" Julie seemed concerned. Maybe she was innocent in all this.

I used my free hand to touch my face. It shook as I pressed it against my cheek. My face was covered in sweat.

"Maybe some water would help?" Jacqueline offered. And to the casual observer that concern probably seemed genuine, but I was no casual observer. It was right there in her eyes, the cold calculating eyes. And I realized my mistake too late. A rookie mistake at that. My father's words came back  to me in a rush.

"Never take your eyes off your drink sweetheart. You can't trust everyone when your out."

His voice.

Jacqueline's eyes.

Marcus's hands.

Blackness.

**

Ian's POV

Shelley's words hung heavy in my head, and sat like a stone in my stomach. I sped down the freeway at break neck speed. All this time I was convinced that Vera was responsible. She was such an easy villain. I should've known nothing was that simple. 

As soon as I called Liam he had kept into action. He told me to sit tight, and let him handle it, but I couldn't do that. I could sense I'm my gut that Anna was in trouble. She had come to mean so much to me and I couldn't lose her now. 

It felt like an eternity before I made it to the restaurant. I hopped out with my car still on and sprinted through the doors. There sat Julie and Vera calmly chatting away.

"Where's Anna!" I exclaimed startling both of them.

"Ian what are you doing here." Vera breathed, clearly surprised by my appearance.

"Where's Anna!" I screamed again.

"Ian, who's Anna?" Julie asked in confusion.

And then I remembered, they didn't know her real name.

"Do you mean Aimee? Isn't it a little bit early to be forgetting her name Darling?" Vera giggled.

"Just tell me where she is." I ground out.

"She felt sick so Jacqueline offered to take her home," Julie offered, "is there something wrong?"

Yes, everything was wrong. And if I didn't hurry, nothing would ever be right again.

**