Chapter 19 Bread Crumbs

I know I know sorry a million times sorry.

This chapter is dedicated to sammygirl101 for being my first loyal reader to comment. Hugz and kissez mwah

Vote

Comment

Fan

**

Ian's POV

"A woman. That definitely changes things." At least I was completely absolved of anything now.

"I already told you, I knew you didn't do it!" Aimee shouted as if she read my mind.

"Yeah well at least we have proof now." I shot back.

"I already told you I didn't need proof because-" I raised my hand effectively cutting her off.

"Okay, okay. I believe you okay." She immediately smiled and her eyes filled with so much hope.

"About everything?" Her voice was tentative and I knew my answer could change everything.

"I'm not ready to answer you just yet Aimee." The hope in her eyes dimmed slightly but it was still there.

"Fair enough. And by the way, it's Anna. Anna Matthews." She stuck out her hand and I quickly grabbed it.

"Nice to meet you Anna." And I knew the minute I put my hand in hers that I was a goner, because I never wanted to let go again.

**

Anna's POV

I knew the minute I put my hand in his that I would never be able to let go again. I could see it in his eyes that he loved me. But I would give him time to say it out loud.

"I hate to interrupt your staring contest, but don't we have a murderer to catch?" Ian and I immediately jumped apart at Liam's question. I didn't even realize we were staring that long.

"Yes we do. A murderess actually." I finally felt confident in my quest now. Now we had definitive proof that my farther was murdered by someone else.

"Or a gay guy." I shot Liam a glare at his bad joke.

"Sorry, it's a coping mechanism." He smirked, and I knew it was a lie.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to Ian who was busy shooting Liam a glare of his own. Yup, he was still jealous. It sent a tingle of glee throughout my body.

" So what do we do now guys?" I was at a loss. Who do we even start with.

Ian turned toward Liam, "your the cop, what do we do now?"

"Agent," Liam quickly corrected, "And I say we start with the women closest to Matthews. Is there anyone-"

KNOCK KNOCK!

All of us nearly jumped through the ceiling at the sudden incessant banging on the door.

"Ian! Ian! Ian!" Ian visibly relaxed and then just as quickly tensed at the sound of his sisters voice. He stormed toward the door and quickly wrenched it open.

"What is wrong with you! Cant you ever calm down!" Julie visibly shrunk and her eyes darted from side to side before landing on me.

"Actually I was looking for Aimee. I was hoping she would join me and Vera for a girls lunch." Ian tensed even more the second he heard Vera's name.

" Why would she want to go to lunch with just you and my ex? And why would Vera even want to eat with Aimee?" I think we were all wondering the answer to that.

"We'll I may have mentioned that you two were seeing each other. And Vera wanted to meet the woman that was planning on spending time with her daughter. So I suggested lunch." She ended with a smug smile, knowing she had Ian trapped.

"I'll go." Ian turned to me, shock etched on his face.

"Why?" He looked as if I had sprouted a second head.

"Because I would love to get her advice on some nail polish." Understanding flashed on his face before he nodded. I turned toward Liam to see if he caught on but his eyes were fixed firmly on Julie. He looked as if he was a child seeing candy for the first time. A look of wonder and desire on his face.

" Well, well, if it isn't Miss Jules. You've grown up." His silky voice finally caught Julie's attention. She batted her eyes and smiled smugly.

"Do I know you? Anyways Aimee, meet us at chez Francois. Noon tomorrow sound good. Great, see ya then." She sent Liam one more smirk before departing as quickly as she came.

"Challenge accepted." Liam whispered under his breath.

Ian approached me slowly and put his hand on my shoulders.

"Are you sure?" I know he didn't think Vera capable of committing murder but I sure did.

"It's just a start Ian." I could tell he was worried, but seriously it's not like Vera was a ball of sunshine.

" I just want you to be careful" and then it registered. He was worried about me. I slipped my hands around his neck and was relieved when he didn't pull away.

"I will be."

"I'll just leave you two alone then. Call me before your lunch tomorrow." I acknowledged Liam with a nod, my eyes never leaving Ian's.

I heard the door close, and we were finally alone. No more people, no more secrets.

Nothing but him and I.

I leaned towards him until our foreheads were touching. I knew he didn't believe it quite yet. But i still had to say it again.

"I love you." Ian's eyes widened and then a slow smile tugged at his lips before he pressed them against mine.

And for the first time in a long time, I heard nothing. No voices no guilt. No desire to join my father in death.

I could only feel.

The softness of Ian's lips against mine. The roughness of his palm as it cradled my cheek. And finally the bursting in my chest as his voice caught on a whisper.

"I love you too."

**

Woohoo. Hoohoo. They're in love.

Yay!!!!

Sorry for making you wait. Thank you so much for staying loyal