Part 29

The doors opened and we started walking down the isle. Everyone was stood watching me. But the only person I saw was Tom. He looked handsome.

I couldn't and wouldn't take my eyes off of him

I couldn't and wouldn't take my eyes off of him. My eyes started to fill with tears and as I got closer, I could see Tom was crying too. I smiled widely.

I finally got to the alter and Dom placed my hand into Tom's. "You look gorgeous darling" he cried while kissing my hand. "You don't look too bad yourself" I laughed. He laughed too while we turned to face the vicar. We intertwined our hands.

"In the presence of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we have come together to witness the marriage of Tom and Y/n to pray for God's blessing on them, to share their joy and to celebrate their love" the vicar started. "Marriage is a gift of God in creation
through which husband and wife may know the grace of God.  It is given that as man and woman grow together in love and trust, they shall be united with one another in heart, body and mind, as Christ is united with his bride, the Church". He continued. "Tom and Y/n are now to enter this way of life. They will each give their consent to the other and make solemn vows, and in token of this they will, each, give and receive a ring. We pray with them that the Holy Spirit will guide and strengthen them, that they may fulfil God's purposes for the whole of their earthly life together". Tom and I looked at each other a smiled brightly.

"First, I am required to ask anyone present who knows a reason why these persons may not lawfully marry, to declare it now". I gripped Tom's hand tighter and he gave a reassuring squeeze back. A minute had passed and no one had said anything. "That's the hard bit over with" the vicar laughed. Everyone else laughed too.

"The vows you are about to take are to be made in the presence of God, who is judge of all and knows all the secrets of our hearts; therefore if either of you know a reason why you may not lawfully marry, you must declare it now". Tom and I looked at each other and laughed. "Shall we continue?" The vicar asked. "Yes please" Tom and I said in unison. "Please may everyone stand to sing song 12, The Lord of the Dance". Everyone stood and we started singing.

"Please be seated". "Thomas Stanley, will you take Y/n y/m/n to be your wife? Will you love her, comfort her, honour and protect her,
and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?" "I will" Tom answered. I smiled widely. "Y/n y/m/n, will you take Thomas Stanley to be your husband? Will you love him, comfort him, honour and protect him, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?" "I will" I answered looking at Tom. He smiled at me. "Now I'm going to ask the congregation" the vicar said turning to our friends and family. "Will you, the families and friends of Tom and Y/n, support and uphold them in their marriage now and in the years to come?" "We will" they all said in unison.

"Now lets us pray" the vicar said. Everyone bowed their heads and Tom and I knelt down. "God our Father, from the beginning you have blessed creation with abundant life. Pour out your blessings upon Tom and Y/n, that they may be joined in mutual love and companionship, in holiness and commitment to each other. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ your Son, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen" "Amen". Tom stood up and them helped me up. "Thank you" I said. "Now, we are going to have a reading from Tom's youngest brother Paddy". Tom and I went and sat down on the seats at the side. Paddy walked up to the alter and started reading. "Y/n and Tom have been best friends for all of their lives. They have been inseparable. It had always been the three musketeers. Tom, Harrison and Y/n. When y/n became pregnant with Elodie, Tom got the courage to tell her he loved her and thankfully she love him back. Goodness that would have been awkward if she didn't love him back" Everyone laughed. "When Elodie was born, Tom came to me and said 'I promise to look after them both' and he has kept that promise to this day. And now he is going to be a father again to another little one. Tom, Y/n, I am proud of you both and y/n, I'm so happy that you are part of our family. I love you both" Paddy finished. I got up and hugged him. I was crying. "I love you Paddy". "Thank you Paddy for that moving reading"

"Now, Tom and Y/n, I now invite you to join hands and make your vows, in the presence of God and his people" the vicar said. Tom and I faced each other. "Tom, please take y/n right hand in yours". Tom did this and he was shaking a little. I could tell he was trying not to cry. "Tom, please say these words" the vicar said saying what Tom had to say. "I, Thomas Stanley Holland take you, Y/n y/m/n Osterfield, to be my wife. To have and to hold
from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part; according to God's holy law. In the presence of God I make this vow". Tom smiled and squeezed my hand. "Thank you. Now y/n, please take Tom's right hand into yours and repeat the same words". He then said what I had to say. I then started repeating it. "I, Y/n y/m/n Osterfield take you, Thomas Stanley Holland to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part; according to God's holy law. In the presence of God I make this vow". I smiled at Tom. I was getting closer to becoming his wife.

"Now we come to the giving and receiving of the rings". Harrison got up and produced the rings from his pocket and placed them on the bible. "Heavenly Father, by your blessing let these rings be to Tom and Y/n a symbol of unending love and faithfulness, to remind them of the vow and covenant which they have made this day through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen" "Amen" we all said. "Tom, if you would please take y/n left hand and hold the ring half way onto her fourth finger" the vicar said. He then said words that Tom had to repeat. "Y/n, I give you this ring as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you, within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit" Tom cried as he put the ring fully on my finger. We then switched and I held the ring on Tom's fourth finger on his left hand. "Tom, I give you this ring as a sign of our marriage.
With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you, within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit" I repeated. I slipped the ring fully on his finger. We both smiled at each other, crying.

We turned to face the vicar and held hands tightly. "In the presence of God, and before this congregation, Tom and Y/n have given their consent and made their marriage vows to each other. They have declared their marriage by the joining of hands and by the giving and receiving of rings. I therefore proclaim that they are husband and wife" the vicar said looking at us and our friends and family. "You may now kiss the bride" he said to Tom. Tom wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me towards him. His hand then gently went to my back and he dipped me down and pressed his lips gently to mine. They fitted perfectly. Everyone was cheering and applauding. He brung me up and I smiled and cried. "I love you Mrs Holland" He said wiping my tears away. "And I love you Mr Holland". We were finally married.