3 - A First Meeting

Steve's P.O.V
Unusual, Fury isn't a man who sends out urgent messages often. I must be needed for something important. I passed Nat and Clint as I walked  down a corridor in S.H.I.E.L.D Base, by the looks of things, they were off on another mission, no time to talk. Nat brought a hand up to her  forehead and did a quick two fingered salute at me as she strolled past and smirked, I rolled my eyes and carried on walking.

I met Fury in the main control panel area, a place I still didn't quite understand. Fury looked directly at me and walked my way, I turned around and we walked together down a different corridor, a corridor that I remembered led down to where they usually kept hostages.

"Steve, I've called you in because we made a fascinating discovery, of sorts, and we think you're the best person to talk to her," Fury said, guiding me down the corridor.

"Her?" I questioned, what was I getting myself into? Wouldn't it be best for me to know beforehand? I guess that's not how Director Fury captained his ship.

"We just need you to find out more about her past," Fury looked at me and we both stopped walking, pausing outside room 12. "Her name is Liberty, we found her in the old Experimentation Institute off the coast near Brooklyn, she was the only one we could save. We had Agents Romanoff and Barton talking to her earlier which is when she disclosed her name and possible heritage to us and-"

"Wait, what do you mean possible heritage? Family is family, is it not?" I replied curiously.

"Well, the father who's name she told us, according to our records, died almost 30 years ago, which seems pretty impossible considering that Liberty herself is only 15 years old." Fury spoke with great urgency, "also, according to our records, Liberty should be 75 years old as the records said she was born in July 1943,"

"What?" I said in disbelief, the records could be wrong, but something about this felt strangely familiar. "I'll go in and talk to her, maybe I can clear something up." And with that, Fury buzzed the button to let me into the room and I walked inside.

Liberty's P.O.V
Suddenly, breaking the silence of the room around me, the large door slid open revealing two figures, one of which I recognised as Director Fury, whom I met earlier, but the other figure, also male, I didn't recognise, but for some reason, his face seemed familiar to me. The man walked a bit inside the room and leant against the inside doorframe.

"Hey," He said to me, quite calmly, his arms folded gently across his chest, his blue eyes looking caringly concerned into my own blue eyes. He didn't look at all intimidating, considering his hieght and slightly visible muscles.

"Hey," I replied, giving him a weak smile, trying to give him signals that he could come and sit down if he wanted. As if reading my mind, he came to sit on a chair that stood next to the bed I was sat on, moving it to face me before placing himself upon the piece of furniture.

"My name's Steve, what's yours?" He said, still maintaining the calmness in his voice.

"I'm Liberty," I replied, staring down at my hands as I spoke, a nervous habit I had always had.

"You're British?" Steve pointed out.
I nodded yes.

We sat in silence for a few seconds, both of us frantically searching through our minds for something to say to break the quiet.

"This-this is going to sound like a really random question, Liberty, but what year were you born?" Steve asked, I saw that he was also staring at his hands as he wrapped them around each other.

"I-I think I was born in 1943,"

"You think?" He then asked, his eyes moving back in my direction instead of at his palms.

"I, um, can't remember much, everything feels like a blur," I said, searching for any memories that may confirm what I thought, but that all felt like a million years ago somehow.

"Well, um, and this is going to shock you so don't try to, um, think about it too much, but now we are in the year 2018," Steve disclosed, pausing to let it all sink into my head.

"W-what?" I said in disbelief after a brief moment of processing the information. What he just said couldn't be right because I'm still 15, I still look 15, but if it really was 2018 and I really was born in 1943, that would be I would be... I would be...

"Hey," Steve said again. his voice starting to sound sadder as he sat on the bed with me, his hand resting on my shoulder. "I understand what you're going through, it all seems a bit crazy, but..."

"How could you understand?!" I started saying, getting frustrated. I didn't understand anything that was happening.

"Liberty, I do understand, you're not alone," Steve said, raising his voice a little so I could hear it over the volume of my own voice.

"But how could y-"

"I was born in 1920," He added quickly, the two of us looking each other dead in the eye then.

We weren't alone.