5 - ...Dad?

Steve's P.O.V
Why didn't I know? Why did I have to be trapped in that ice for 70 years? So many questions and yet no one to answer any of them.

That one night, then the crash. I... I don't know what to say.

Should I go and tell her? Or should I just give her a bit of space? It's not every day that you get so much crazy stuff dumped on you in half a day.

But would she want me to be her dad? The dad she never knew existed.

For then I just sat by one of the empty computers close to where Fury stood by the main control panel, my head in my hands, eyes latched on my name on the computer screen. At that moment, for the first time since I took the super soldier serum all those years ago, I felt completely and utterly helpless.

"Captain," A voice said from behind me, I turned to see one of the agents stood alone, a sheet of paper clipped to a black clipboard held by her side. "We found something, something to do with Liberty,"

"Yes?" I replied, straightening up my posture and looking her in the eye, standing next to her.

"When Agents Barton and Romanoff found her and brought her into our care, she had been injured- nothing too serious, it all healed quite quickly- which is what puzzled us even more. So we tested a blood sample of hers and this is what we found,"

She then showed me the paper that was on her clipboard; lots of statistics and numbers that I didn't quite understand, but there was one section that I did understand, that stood out as clear as day to me;

Super Soldier Serum --- Positive

"Sir, it seems that the effects of the serum were genetically passed down to Liberty, through your DNA to hers," The agent informed me, I nodded at her and tried a smile, showing my understanding of the situation as I couldn't think of any words to say. This was too much, even for me. "Director Fury thought it best if you knew," and with that, she passed me the sheet that had been clipped to her board and walked off back in the direction of the S.H.I.E.L.D labs, her empty clipboard still in hand.

Liberty's P.O.V
"Steve is... my dad?" I repeated the words over and over both in my head and out loud. This was impossible. For a moment we sat in silence, me and Maria, I couldn't quite comprehend everything all at once.

"Liberty, I-" Maria started, but I couldn't hear her, my mind was racing the world spinning before my eyes. Only one thing was standing out to me through the hurricane of thoughts.

I had to find my dad.

"I-I have to go and find Steve," I said to Maria, standing up from the bed. Maria nodded and I started to move quite quickly forward, failing to remember that I had put Steve's box of stuff by my feet which caused me to almost fall flat on my face over it. I looked back to see what I had fallen over and smiled. Perfect.

I looked back at Maria, who was still sat on my bed, as I left and she smiled as I turned to run down the corridor on the right.

"Liberty!" I heard Maria shout from the doorway,

"Yep, I'm going the wrong way aren't I?!" I shouted back as I walked past the doorway again, this time in what I assumed was the right direction as to where I will find Steve.

I did think that there would be a lot of corridors in this place, but I severely underestimated its size. It felt like running through one of those hedge mazes that I remember my little sister Lizzie loving; she was always able to find her way out much quicker than I could. I walked very quickly down all the corridors, as they twisted and turned around me. I had no idea where I was going, I guess I just used a combination of gut feeling and also following where the majority of people were going, I had a feeling they were heading towards at least a place where I could find someone who knew where I could find him.

I turned more corners, scanning each and every face, searching for the one face I needed to see, until I found myself in a huge room, filled with men and women at computers, men and women with important looking clipboards, Director Fury looking over them from higher up.

Director Fury. Maybe he could help me.

I walked up to where he was stood, up a large staircase.

"Director Fury," I started, catching his attention until I heard another familiar voice coming from behind me. I turned around immediately to see him, Steve, holding a piece of paper in his hand.

For a moment the two of us just stood there, looking at each other. There was anything but silence around us, men and women working and talking, but I couldn't hear anything they were saying.

Steve moved first.

"Liberty," he said, his blue eyes softening. Without thinking about it, I walked forward and wrapped my arms around his frame, embracing him, tears rolling down my face.

"Dad..." I whispered into his chest as his arms embraced me and we finally felt like a family.