Chapter 8- The Difference Between One and Two

Niall's POV

“So what does everyone want to do now?” Liam asked us all as we walked out of the cafe after breakfast. I, personally, had just eaten so much that I was ready for a nap, although I didn't think that would be an option.

“We should go see a film.” Zayn suggested.

“Ooooh yeah let's go see Avengers!” Harry shouted. We all laughed at his enthusiasm.

“Haz maybe we should let Stella have a say in that. Maybe she doesn't want to see a super hero movie.” Liam replied. We all turned to Stella with questioning gazes and I noticed that she was staring at Liam like he was insane. I chuckled a little bit at the look on her face. “What?” Liam asked her.

“Are you kidding me Liam? Robert Downey Jr zipping around the sky in a suit made of iron? COUNT ME IN!” She squealed. All of us burst out laughing. “Besides, I wanna see if Mark Ruffalo can make a better Hulk than Edward Norton. My guess is no, but I guess we'll see.”

“Wow Stell, didn't take you for an action fan.” Louis laughed.

“She's the reason I can't watch any of the Transformers movies anymore.” Zayn groaned.

“Whatever. You just have shitty taste in movies.” She laughed at him, nudging him with her shoulder.

“So we're agreed on Avengers then?” Liam asked us all. We nodded. “Excellent.” We all began walking towards the theater that was right down the street, Harry and Louis at the front as usual, arms linked as they skipped down the sidewalk. Liam and Zayn followed closely behind them immersed in some serious conversation about what Liam was going to get for Danielle for her birthday. And Stella and I brought up the rear, arguing over whether who was better between Iron Man and Captain America.

“Seriously Niall! He wears a suit of IRON! And he's a genius to boot. That makes him WAY cooler than freaking Captain America.” Stella told me, shaking her head and punching me softly in the arm.

“Are you mental! He's Captain America! He doesn't need some stupid metal suit. He's FUCKING CAPTAIN AMERICA! He's got muscle and skill. What does Tony Stark have? A big brain and a bank account. He needs a big metal suit to protect him from harm.” I shot back. She laughed in my face.

“OK first of all, he doesn't need a suit to protect him. He can fight. And he has muscles too. Sexy ass muscles. Plus he's hilarious! Way funnier than Steve Rogers. You seriously need to get it together Niall. I mean I thought you were cool. Obviously I was wrong.” She teased. I stopped walking, a pout forming on my lips.

“That wasn't even nice!” I whined. She turned around to face me when she realized I wasn't walking beside her anymore, trying hard not to smile at the look on my face. I pushed my lower lip out a little farther, attempting to make my eyes look even sadder. She huffed at my expression, a flustered look making it's way onto her face.

“That's not fair. You can't pout at me like that. Now I feel bad. I was just teasing you. You know I still think you're cool. Coolest guy I’ve ever met.” she told me, holding out her hand for me to take. My heart leapt into my throat at the gesture. I didn't know whether or not I should take it what with her having a boyfriend and all. My head told me it wouldn't be right but my heart, taking complete control of my awkward body, made me lift my own hand and grasp hers tightly, lacing our fingers together. Her fingers fight perfectly between mine and I wished that love could always be this simple. But she wasn't in love with me. No matter how much I wanted to pretend that she was.

Stella's POV

My heart pounded in my chest as he took my hand, our fingers fitting together like the pieces of a puzzle. A small part of me was concerned that he could hear it, something that I found incredibly embarrassing. A larger part of me wanted him to know exactly what he did to me.