19/ Dressed in Black

Before us great Death stands

Our fate held close within his quiet hands.

When with proud joy we lift Life’s red wine

To drink deep of the mystic shining cup

And ecstasy through all our being leaps—

Death bows his head and weeps.

-Rainer Maria Rilke | Death

-------------

                   Michelle Phat Phat Anderson

     "H-hey Calvin." I asked as I seen him come into my room.

     I've been avoiding him for a few weeks and it's been difficult. Lying to him saying I'm doing this or that when really I'm just laying around trying to figure out how I'm going to tell him. I mean, our lives are pretty dysfunctional right now and bringing a child into all this will just makes things even more stressful but, abortion and adoption are out of the equation.

     "Wassup Michelle. You been ducking and dodging me when I need yo' ass the most. My moms got fuckin' killed and yo' ass be-"

     "I'm pregnant." I said while interrupting his rant.

     "What you say?" His face fell as he slowly approached me.

     "I'm pr-pregnant." I looked away from his gaze and placed my interest to the door that was shut closed.

     "You sure?" He asked.

     "Yep, three out of three."

     "Wow."

     "Yeah."

     "Damn."

     "I know."

     "Okay," he paused as he came and sat beside me. He grabbed my hand that still held the ring he gave me. "I promised you something and Imma man of my word. I mean, the timing is pretty fucked up if you asked me but, we gon' get through this togetha' aight?" He met my gaze.

      I nodded my head and whispered,"Yeah." I scooted away from him and removed the cover away from upper body. My swolen breast were hidden by the sports bra and my baby bump that was growing every damn day was displayed.

     He slowly brought his hand up and rubbed my stomach that held the little creature we had created. "My baby boy up in der?" He asked with a large smile lighting up his face.

      "Baby boy?" I leaned back.

      "Yeah," he chuckled. "Boy."

       I shook my head,"Nu-uh. Girl."

      "Hell no!" He shook his head.

       "And why not?" I raised a brow.

       "'Cause, if she come out lookin' like her fine ass momma, then my guns gon' stay locked and loaded." He said as his facial expression was deadpan.

       Laughing, I shook my head. "Well, it damn sure ain't gon' be a boy. Ion need no lil' nappy headed girls swarmin' around my son if he lookin' like his sexy ass daddy." I bit down on my lip while running my free hand over his chest.