Chapter 5

• "Here" by Alessia Cara •

•Cassidy (Cass)•

S O R I Y A

          Soriya and Hussein pulled up to the housing complex. Soriya had to admit, she was a little shocked. She never imagined that Hussein would live in a place as rough as this.

She didn't wanna seem stuck up or anything but it just wasn't what she pictured.

"This where you live?" She asked him, staring at the building.

"Yeah, why?" Hussein spoke with a hint of attitude.

"I was just asking." She replied.

Hussein gave her  a weird look before opening her car door and getting out. He swiftly tossed Soriya her keys. She then followed him up the stairs.

When they reached his front door, Soriya tapped her feet on the ground, waiting for him to unlock it.

"My mom might be home so be respectful and speak." He instructed.

"Okay, dad." Soriya rolled her eyes before he opened the door.

Once Hussein stepped out of the way  a middle-aged, petite woman was lounging on a faded brown couch watching television.

She wore wide rollers in her hair with a satin scarf wrapped around them.

Hussein walked up to the woman and kissed her on the cheek: "Wassup, momma?"

He sat next to her on the couch.

"Hey, baby," she smiled as she rubbed the back of his head. "I know you hungry so I left a plate for you on the counter."

Soriya's heart softened at the connection Hussein shared with his mom. He was most definitely a momma's boy.

Hussein sat up from the couch and headed to the kitchen.

He grabbed his plate filled with food and took the cover off. Soriya watched him place it in the microwave. When the timer went off, he took the plate out of the microwave.

Once he sat down at the table, he motioned for Soriya to come over to him.

Soriya and O'Nicka eventually made eye contact. Soriya waved shyly as she passed by O'Nicka to go to the kitchen.

"Oh, I didn't even see you," O'Nicka said, changing the channel with her remote. "Hue, who is this pretty girl?"

"She's the one tutoring me." He said, before continue to stuff his face.

Soriya sat down across from him at the kitchen table. She leaned her chin on the palms of her hands.

"Well, hi there! You look hungry. You want something to eat, baby?"