Chapter 17

🎄

S O R I Y A

S O R I Y A

          O'Nicka smiled brightly at her daughter.

"It's your turn, baby." She said to Johnicka.

Johnicka beamed before reaching for the wrapped present beside her. She felt around it before finally finding the tag to see who it was from.

"To Johnicka, from Momma." Her smile grew wider as she ripped the gift open.

Inside was a white clothing box. She opened it to find a mauve blouse with lace stitching around the sleeves.

"I seen you staring at it when we went to the mall the other day," O'Nicka spoke up. "I know I said I couldn't afford it but I made it happen for my baby."

Johnicka eyes beamed with gratefulness. But just as quickly as it came, the excitement went away.

"Momma, I can't accept this." Johnicka handed her mom the box.

"Girl if don't keep that damn shirt," she chuckled. "It's Christmas. It would hurt my feelings if you gave it back."

Johnicka grinned before sitting the box next to her.

They continued to open more presents for the next few minutes.

Now it was Hussein's turn. His last present was special, since it was from Soriya. He sat the small, wrapped present on his lap. He quickly ripped off the paper.

His eyes were practically bulging out at the sight of his gift. A shining, yellow gold Rolex was neatly displayed in its case.

"No the fuck you didn't," his mouth hung open as he gaped at the polished accessory.

"Hey!" O'Nicka scolded Hussein on his use of language.

"My bad, momma." He was still gaping at the watch.

When he finally snapped out of it, he looked over at Soriya.

"How you got this?"

"I been working overtime lately," Soriya responded. "And my dad kind of pitched in."

"This real fire, B." he sat the watch down and got up to stand next to her chair. "Thank you."

He kissed Soriya on the forehead, which surprised both of them. Soriya saved the awkwardness of the situation with a light chuckle before Hussein went back to his seat.