Chapter 8

One Week Later. . .

S O R I Y A

S O R I Y A

"We almost done, Cass," Soriya fussed as she worked on Cassidy's edges. "Damn!"

Cassidy sat on a pillow between Soriya's legs.

Dominique dropped her off at Faryn's earlier to do God knows what.

For the last hour, Soriya had been struggling to comb Cassidy's hair. She was a whiner and fought back every time Soriya tried to detangle her knots. It didn't help that Cassidy's head was tender too.

Soriya was beginning to get fed up. There was only fifteen minutes left until Cassidy's dad would be dropping by to pick her up.

Soriya finished her last swoop on her niece's edges before sitting the toothbrush next to her on the couch.

"We done now," Soriya sighed out of relief.

Cassidy hopped off of the pillow and turned around to mug her aunt.

Soriya raised her eyebrows, "You better fix yo' face!"

Cassidy quickly switched her frown to a wide smile.

"That's better," Soriya giggled as dhe moved the hair products off of the couch cushion. "Come sit, I wanna talk to you."

Cassidy plumped down next to her, waiting to hear what she had to say.

Soriya smiled at her, "You know I'm basically yo' momma, right?"

Cassidy furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head.

"I am," Soriya repeated her point. "Even though yo' momma had you, you basically mine."

"How?" Cassidy asked, curiosity laced in her tiny voice.

"I been taking care of you since you came out Dominique." Soriya grabbed Cassidy's hand and gently rubbed it. "I see you more than yo' real momma."

Cassidy stared at her, wanting to know more.

"I remember the day you were born," Soriya smiled at her. "I had never cried so hard in my life."

"You was sad, Teetee?" Cassidy didn't like knowing that her auntie was not happy.

"Far from sad," Soriya fanned her hand. "You were so beautiful and it made me happy, baby."

"Does that make you my mom too?"

Soriya nodded, "In a way."

"Now why you telling that girl that?" Faryn walked out of her bedroom and into the living room. "Before she go back and repeat that to her momma."

"I just wanted it to be known." Soriya shrugged.

Faryn sat down on the other couch next to the one Soriya was sitting on.