18. Chris

When I woke up I saw Amy asleep in a chair next to me. Then when I turned my head to the other side I saw Sarah and Abbie both sat in hospital chairs asleep. Then I noticed that Sarah was starting to wake up slightly. She rubbed her eyes and let out a long yawn. Then she looked over at me and gave me a small smile. She got up and walked closer to me.
" How are you?" She asked sitting down at the end of the bed.
" Confused, thats for sure." I laughed and she smiled. I looked back over at Amy and Sarah followed my stare. " How is she?"
" Well.... she ran 7 miles just to get here at 11 at night and ran through a forest and all sorts. Then when she got here she only ever asked about you. Saying how guilty she felt and how this was all her fault." Sarah explained.
" But it wasn't her fault." I said, still looking at Amy.
" Yeah well, turns out you mean more then you know to her. We told her over and over again but all she wanted to do was swap places with you."
" Why?" I asked.
" She was angry with herself. Said that it was always you who ended up hurt and in the hospital rather then her. She wanted to protect you and keep you safe just like you've been doing for her ever since you both met. She'd do anything for you Chris."
" I know, it's why I've put off giving her an answer. I don't want this to be here life, forever worrying, endless trips to the hospital, willing to risk everything and all for what? Some guy who has to have something put in his ear just to hear everyone else." I said.
" But Chris think about what she'd be like without you. If it wasn't for you she'd still be getting into fights everyday scared to death of going to school. Spending everyday of her life running away from the world. She'd be lost without you Chris. We all would." I looked back at Sarah but she kept looking at Amy.
" She was scared?" My voice cracked slightly.
" Why do you think she won't go back to school Chris? It might be a different school but its the same scared Amy. The amount of times I got late night calls from Amy crying telling me what had happened, it was the worst. She'd call me almost every night and the nights that she didn't call me were the worst. She was so afraid at the end of the day she didn't even want to pick up the phone. Her love of drawing was destroyed by that bully so much that just looking at her sketch book makes her feel sick. Her guitar is all she has left without you. She needs you Chris. And you need her." I looked back at Amy and I only just noticed the small scar on her cheek and her hand.
" And the scars?"
" Just part of the fights that made her scared to pick up the phone."
" Why would she put up with something like that?"
" The same reason why she's been untrusting with you. She was scared of losing what she cares about."

Abbie soon woke up and we all carried on talking until we noticed Amy starting to wake up.
" Well, we'll leave you two alone." Abbie said before they both rushed out the door before Amy opened her eyes. Then when she looked me in the eye I could see the guilt and worry starting to build.
" Hey." She said nervously.
" Hey." I said calmly.
" How are you?" She asked.
" Good. How about you?" I could see she was shocked at me asking how she was.
" Dose it matter?" She said with a fake smile.
"Of course it dose. And don't you dare say your fine or any of your other excuses, I want the truth." She bit her lip and I could see her trying to think about what she was about to say.
" Honestly, I'm confused, I'm scared, I'm sad, I'm angry but I'm me." She said.

We carried on talking until she had to go. I could see that there was still something bothering her but she wouldn't tell me. I asked Sarah and Abbie and she wouldn't tell them either. Then after everyone left and all the tests were done I was finally allowed to go home. My family were acting weird with me but I was used to it after so many trips to the hospital. I went up to my room and all I could think about was what Sarah had told me about Amy. I should have known something was off the minute I saw how she acted at that school. But then I cant stop thinking about what I should do. There's loads of reasons why we should and shouldn't be together, I just hope I can find a way to pick the right one.