Virgil (Ch.2)

"Well, that was fun! Can not wait till we can do it again." Deceit smiled as he sat on my bed. I just went over and sat next to him. I don't understand why he does this to himself. I mean I do it because I'm Anxiety. It's a part of my personality to be self-deprecating and self-destructive. But... Not him. He's supposed to... well. He's supposed to lie not only to others but to himself. Now that I'm thinking about it. That could be why he does it. He fools himself into thinking things. I am not the one that should be psychoanalyzing people.

"Deceit..."

"Don't you start worrying about me, V. I am fine. Honestly." Honestly, that's a laugh. You never speak honestly. Not even to yourself. Not at first.

"Deceit!"

"Virgil, seriously I am fine." I could see the pain in his eyes. He was not fine. How could he be? Thomas freaks out whenever he's around. One time He didn't even give him a chance to speak. He popped up and was told to leave right off the bat.  I took his hands into mine, ignoring the shouting in the back of my mind, and just sat there in silence. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to help him but I also knew I was the only one who could. 

Deceit is not a bad person. He plays a character, acts the part, and lies through his teeth, but that's not the type of person he is. As a side he is Deceit. He lies and keeps things hidden. But as a person he's insecure and guarded, hiding behind a villain's mask to hide the unfortunate truth that he's just as scared. Just like me. Just like how I was. That's why I can understand him. Without him, Thomas would fall apart. Not only would Thomas lose the ability to act but he would lose so much more. We all stand for more than just our job. We stand for a piece of Thomas in himself. They realized that with me but they just turned their attention to him. 

"Hey remember the first time we meet?" Deceit pushed himself further onto the bed to get more comfortable.

"Yeah, I remember everything." Deceit raised one of his eyebrows and just laughed. As he did, I pushed myself farther onto the bed opposite of him.

"It was the worse day of my life."

"Deceit." His face dropped and he sighed.

"I know V. It's just difficult. You're the only one who ever took the time to understand."

"That's not..." He gives me a look and I go quiet. I knew it was true, I just didn't want him to feel down. But... You can't lie to Deceit. He'll know.

"You took the time to understand me, but you didn't try to force me to open up. Despite the fact that you were so beaten up yourself."

"Dee, We were both dark sides. I guess I... I don't know. I was so anxious around you. But at the same time, I didn't want to leave. The first day wasn't any different."

"It was for me." Deceit looked back at his hands after he said that. It always took him a lot to speak honestly, and it was only ever when we were alone. His eyes started to water and his aura started to grow. His snake scales started to shift and his close started to waver. I knew what was happening. Deceit is an illusionist like me. His specialty is espionage. His greatest skill he has is his ability to alter how he looks. And just like me, He also has a "powered" appearance. Or if being honest it our true form. How we really look.

I was chosen to be the dragon of the vale. It's leader, supporting the vale with its giant wing and defending the vale with its flames. I never liked that title, "The Dragon of Western Base". I never liked "wicked witch of the vale" either. Anyway, as I got older and my magik grew, I started taking more and more aspects from the dragons that I was named after. The same was for Deceit. The Serpent of Eastern Base. Deceit was never shy about his appearance like I was. He openly showed the true him without hesitation, whereas, since my power seal broke, I've hidden behind an illusion. 

The difference between Deceit and I is... When I lose control, my illusion slips, and my true form shows. With Deceit, if he feels vulnerable he puts up an illusion, causing his true form to be hidden.  I just couldn't help but think of the first day we had met, as his illusion formed and he looked like he did before he became the Serpent of the eastern base.

He sat there, tears streaming down his face. His hair slightly blonder. His black coat and yellow attire replaced with a grey t-shirt and jeans. He lifts his head and I stare into his bright green eyes. I know he hates this. I hate it too. Having this feeling of vulnerability, It's difficult. 

I bring myself closer to him and pull him into a hug. I don't do it often, in fact, I try to avoid them at all cost, but sometimes they are essential. They've helped me and so sometimes I use them to help others. I pulled him into a hug and feel as he tenses up. After all, he's as used to them as I am, and just as avoidant. But soon, he relaxes. 

"Virgil, I'm sorry for barging in but I... Oh!" I look up to see Thomas standing in the doorway with a very confused look on his face. Already I can feel my anxiety start to bubble, but I look over at Deceit and he gives me a smile. He sits himself up more as I move back to where I was. Thomas just closed the door and sat down on the desk chair, moving it closer to the bed. 

"Uh... T-Thomas, what brought you here?" You could hear the anxiety in my voice.

"Well, I had questions. Mostly about Deceit, and how you're taking everything. And... About earlier." I watched as Deceit started to get tense again. I know how it feels to have someone talk about you and not realize that it's you. Of course, as a spy he should be used to it, but not... from us though, I guess.

"Deceit? Never heard of her. Guess I should leave you to it then." Deceit says as he starts to get up. He said the same thing during his first video, but It sounded different this time... almost hollow.

"Dee!" I yelled. Both he and Thomas jumped. They aren't used to me being loud, or assertive for that matter. Deceit stopped walking and looked back at me. He knew why I yelled. My room was a safe room, an honest room. When we are in here, we are both honest with each other no matter how difficult. It's a rule I made everyone agree with on my most recent birthday. No lies not even from Deceit. Elsewhere is fine, just not here.

"V..." he starts but decides against it. He starts to leave again and a thought comes to mind. If I can get Deceit to be honest with Thomas then maybe... Just maybe.

"D. I think you should stay." 

"It's ok, I shouldn't have come at such a bad time." Thomas starts to get up and move the chair. Deceit sighs and stops it, causing Thomas to look back at him confused.

"Virgil?" He looks back at me with a sour look. I cringe away from it. My anxiety was only getting worse. I mean, I want to help Deceit. If he and Thomas can get to know each other even just a little bit, then maybe it won't be so tense. Maybe Deceit could actually let his walls down with someone other than me. But at the same time, I can't lose him. He is my best friend, my only friend from the vale.

"I t-think t-that we should all finally t-talk. O-openly... together." He could see how desperate I was. I just want him to feel safer. With not only me but the others too. We've both been through so much shit. Its time he finally talks to someone else about it too.

"Only... because... It's you." Deceit let go of the chair and sat back on the bed. I can see how nervous he is, and I am almost grateful he still has his illusion up. Maybe It will be easier for them to open up because of it.

"Ok...then. My first question is..."