Chapter 2: Christmas Blues

We all watched as the last gift was handed out to Rena

We all watched as the last gift was handed out to Rena. She quickly opened it up, in which she pulled out a Castelia Cones baseball cap from it. She shot Rudi a look, but her brother just laughed at her, urging her to keep looking in the box. It took Rena a bit, but after a while, she found a tool box, one that must've been special as her eyes widened in pure joy.

Seeing that her brother really did care, the blue haired girl turned towards her brother, pulling him in a hug. I smiled at the two siblings as they seemed to be getting along for a moment.

It didn't happen often. Most of the times, the Rhea siblings would be at each other's throats.

It was so weird to think that this was the first Christmas we'd spent together in a long time, so long. It had been so long that I didn't even remember the first time we did. I'd always made a point in calling Landon and Wendy after the whole Swanna Girl thing was over, seeing how they were the closest people I've had to parents. Well, that wasn't not entirely true, I had Nurse Joy, so I guess I practically had two moms and a dad.

Okay, that sounded really weird, but that was what happened when someone's parents died at a young age. Other people start filling in the roles.

I was only a one year old when our families spent Christmas together. Being so young, I didn't remember a thing about it, and neither did Rena or Rudi. These past two Christmases, I'd come over and celebrated it with them. But seeing that Rudi was living off the grid for a reason he refused to tell us, well, it was just the four of us.

It was nice having Rudi back.

"Yelp, that's the last of it," Landon said.

I looked over at the man as he started to pick up the wrapping paper, while his wife had gotten up to leave the room for some reason. I still sat on the couch with the Rhea siblings sitting to my right. Of course, Rudi sat in the middle.

While the two siblings were catching up, I turned to look at Landon, I realized he had stopped cleaning and was looking at something underneath the tree.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

Landon knelt down and reached for something from behind the tree. I tried to catch a closer look at it, but whatever it was, the man could easily hide it in his hand.

"Sylvia," Landon looked back at me, "looks like you've got another gift."

I glanced over at Rudi and Rena who both grew silent and shrugged. Neither of them knew what was going on by the looks of it. I exhaled, trying to think what could have been behind it.