Chapter 15: Knox and Nox

Rena always had a problem controlling her temper

Rena always had a problem controlling her temper. She tried to find ways to control it, but it'd been a couple of years since she had a solid grasp on what "control" was. Instead of figuring it out, the blue-haired woman sat at her desk. Blueprints scattered across her desk as she carefully studied each and every one of them.

If Rena wanted to help her brother on saving Unova once again, she would have to figure out how Nox's invention worked. Her nose scrunched in disgust as she thought about her rival. She never trusted him, and now, she not only had to figure out his invention worked, but she had to protect him as well. The idea was unsettling for the inventor.

From the moment the two started working together, they didn't get along. Rena was the one who hired him, but only because it was part of a deal with a mutual friend of theirs: Jonathan Knox. If Rena had it her own way, she would've just hired Jonathan, but he refused to work unless his best friend worked alongside them. Things were fine at first. Between the three of them, they could figure out how to solve the simplest of problems.

Well, most problems that was.

Rena cursed under her breath as her vision started to double from staring down at the blueprints for too long. She leaned back in her chair, rubbing her eyes as she thought how impossible it was to even create a device to pass through walls. While she could've asked her rival for help, Rena refused to. If anything, she wanted to prove that she was the better inventor and to get back at him for all that he'd done in the past.

"Having trouble there, Ms. Blue?"

The inventor looked up to see the one person she didn't want to see. He wore a wrinkled t-shirt and jeans as he held two cups of coffee in his hands. For once, the man seemed to be in a good mood as his green eyes looked at Rena.

"It's Ms. Rhea to you," the blue-haired woman sneered before looking back at the blueprints that had been made by the man walking in.

Isaac Nox ignored this as he walked over towards the desk. "Oh really? I thought you liked the nickname."

The tension grew in the air as Nox placed one of the mugs down and looked over at Rena. Inside his mind, he knew what he did, and Rena wasn't going to waste a breath on it. Instead of acknowledging that the man was in the room, Rena kept working, even though she knew he would be the best person to help her with her project. After all, he was the one who invented the Intangible Box. All Rena would have to do was ask for help and see what he knew to stop Team Oblivion.

There was just one problem. Since the day she fired him from her company, she made a vow never to ask him for help ever again, no matter how much she'd need it.

Nox knew what was bothering her and quickly changed the subject to one he knew both of them weren't ready to talk about. "You know why I did it, so don't you deny it."

"You had no right to do it though," Rena rebuked as she started to roll up one of the blueprints from her desk.

The man smiled, knowing he was finally getting somewhere. "Oh really? What would Jonathan think?"