Chapter 21: Family Ties

I took a couple of steps back, not believing what I was seeing

I took a couple of steps back, not believing what I was seeing. Lethe was right; I wasn't going to believe him. How could I? My parents were dead, they had been for...

Seventeen years.

I looked up at the boy, feeling my stomach tighten. Lethe was now standing in front of the bed, shoving his hands in his pockets as he rocked back and forth on the heels of his feet.

Eyes didn't mean anything. Back in Kalos, I'd met many Trainers with similar eye colors, but we weren't related in any ways. Heck, I even met one girl who had gray eyes as well. If that happened, there was no way this guy could be related to me. When I looked at Lethe, I started to realize how much he believed his own words to be true. He even looked a bit disappointed when I didn't even respond.

I took a deep breath.

"You said you were close with your mom," I said, trying to pick out every detail that could make his statement wrong. "I was there at my parents' funeral when I was two. That's something that a child can't forget, Lethe. There's no way she's...No, if she was alive, she would've let me know. You're lying."

That last statement shouldn't have come out. I could tell Lethe believed every word he was saying, but it didn't mean it was true.

By the looks of things, the boy ignored my last comment. Lethe shook his head, as he pulled something out of his pocket. It was a small piece of paper, a picture by the looks of it. His mouth curled up slightly as he looked at it.

"About that, Mom wanted people to think she was dead, especially you. She did something. I don't know what it was or when, but it was enough to have people on the hunt for her. We were always on the run. I never understood why," Lethe said.

"No," I shook my head. "That's not possible. If my mom is alive now, then where is she?"

The boy's smile disappeared as he looked up at me. I'd seen that look once before, or more specifically, I remembered wearing that exact expression whenever people would ask me about my parents.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I said. "It sucks."

Lethe dropped his head, causing his hair to cover his eyes a bit. My heart went out to him, and despite the circumstances we were in, I just wanted to give the guy a pat on the back and let him know that it was going to be alright.

Even though things would never be the same. I'd be lying to him if I said that things were going to be okay.

"I don't need your pity because she was your mom too," Lethe whispered. "I just need you to believe."

Before I could protest, the boy held a picture in front of him, showing me what was on the other side. He kept his head down, so he wouldn't see my reaction. Not that it mattered. I tried not to react to who was in the picture.

I'd seen plenty of pictures of my parents before they passed. I was always the spitting image of my mom. My dad, well, I had nothing to share with him besides the fact that I acted like him, or so I'd been told.