Chapter 18: The Cold Hard Truth

I sat in the living room, thinking about what Lethe had told me

I sat in the living room, thinking about what Lethe had told me. Joy had escaped. He helped her out and had given her my Musharna to keep her company. That explained why Musharna went missing the moment the entire organization had disappeared. Still, it didn't help knowing that Joy and Musharna were running around who-knew-where.

I pulled my knees into my chest and wrapped my arms around them. Joy was only sixteen. There were Trainers younger than her who started their journeys. It was silly to think she wasn't going to be alright. Joy was smart.

Still, I couldn't help but to worry a bit.

"Well, if it isn't Ms. Gray," a voice said from behind.

At the sound of that name, I stiffened. There was nothing I hated more than to be called Ms. Gray. I'd rather be on a first name basis with everyone, even as a Pokémon Nurse.

Only one man had the audacity to call me that. I looked in the corner of my eyes to see Nox leaning against the wall, with a coffee cup in his hands. It seemed like this guy ran on coffee as he always had a cup in his hands. Even before bed, the man was seen making coffee.

Coffee was good, but only in moderation.

"What do you want?" I growled, remembering his and Rudi's conversation earlier this morning. Had it not been for the purple and pink pigment covering Nox's swollen eye, I would've almost forgotten about what had happened.

"Can't a man say hi?" Nox asked.

I buried my head into my knees, glancing at my phone that sat on the couch. After calling Lethe, I called everyone I could think of to keep an eye out for the young Joy. Everyone told me the same thing. If they saw anything, they'd let me know. As of right now, I just had to wait.

The wait was eating me up inside. The longer I waited, the greater the fear that ran inside me. Hope was the only thing keeping me going. I needed to hope that Joy was alright. She had to be alright. All I could do was wait.

And I didn't like it.

"You didn't even say hi," I grumbled.

"Jeez, someone's cranky today? What is it? Did your boyfriend forget something?" Nox challenged.

That was it. I leapt from the couch and stood up to face him. My hands tightened into fists. "Tais-Toi!"

Nox smirked. "Stop trying to be as innocent as a cinnamon roll. You've probably said worse before, so stop trying to cover it up by speaking Kalosian. Besides, 'shut up' isn't a bad word."

I growled. "Just stop it! Can't you see everyone here is trying to help you out. Your lousy inventions are about to get everyone here killed. You're a danger to everyone here, and yet, we are trying to keep you safe. Not because it's out of the goodness of our hearts, but because we are trying to keep every person in Unova safe, and all you do is create fights with people."