Chapter 5: Oh Joy...

Joy always knew to do the right thing

Joy always knew to do the right thing. She studied hard for her entry exams that would be coming up within two years, helped Nurse Sylvia around the Castelia City Pokémon Center, even made sure Trainers were treating their Pokémon with respect. By doing the right things, good things would always come back in full circle.

That was what she always thought, and she wasn't wrong. There were just some things that were out of her control. She did the right thing back at the Pokémon Center when she noticed the attack. It was just bad luck that she had to suffer the consequences of being kidnapped in the end.

The young girl was terrified of what was going to happen next as she reflected over her actions. Joy wanted to do what was right, that was what she was taught to do. Back in Sinnoh, the place where she grew up, her mother told her how it was their duty to do whatever they could to help others. As a Pokémon Nurse, it was their duty to help out, even when it seems impossible. The lesson continued when she started studying under Nurse Sylvia's direction. Even though the young nurse wasn't a Joy, she seemed to have followed the same principle. Nothing seemed to be a second thought for her. If it was the right thing, then her mentor would do it without hesitation.

Joy strived to be like her. It's why when the sketchy people started to throw out Pokémon, she didn't run and hide. Even without a Pokémon, the young girl leapt out into battle, picking a fight with one of the intruders. The girl loathed violence. She  thought it was pointless to battle, but she knew she could use her skill to slow them down. Her hands tried to pry a Poké Ball from one of the stranger's hands, only for her to get thrown to the ground and quickly tied down with rope.

That didn't stop the girl. She remembered how she yelled for the Trainers to get out of the way and to call Officer Jenny. She was also going to warn them to call her mentor as well, but it was too late.

Fearlessness was a foreign concept to Joy. She looked up to her mentor, who had no fear. If a Pokémon came into the Pokémon Center, Nurse Sylvia wouldn't hesitate to do anything, even if that Pokémon was a Bug-type Pokémon. Joy almost laughed at the thought as she remembered her older sister, who was a now a Pokémon Nurse in Snowpoint City, would've screamed at the sight of a Bug-type Pokémon. Like her sister, Joy was afraid of many types of Pokémon: Bug-types, Ghost-types, and Jigglypuff.

Joy never showed her fear when she helped Nurse Sylvia with those Pokémon. She wanted to prove that she could be a good Pokémon Nurse one day, and wanted to be the very best at her job. Thing was, Joy now started having her doubts as she felt her heart racing.

The girl had no idea where she was at. After being kidnapped, tied up, and having Ducklett tape slapped against her mouth, Joy couldn't hide the fear. Tears were rolling down her face as she curled up into a ball. All she knew was that she was in a dark van with tinted windows. She said a silent prayer, praying that the Pokémon Center would be fine, that she would be rescued, and that things would be back to normal.