Thirty-Six

i want to remind you all you were the ones who wanted lots of detail so don't blame me for breaking your hearts

be warned that this chapter may be very triggering if you can't handle death and things related to it

i'll also be deleting any comments i think are insensitive

Louis is gone the next morning.

He died in his sleep. Harry woke up and felt Louis' pulse, like he did every morning, but this time there was nothing. Even after moving his fingers around his wrist, nothing. He pressed his hand over Louis' heart–nothing.

He slapped Louis across the face. He grabbed him by his shoulders and shook him, begging him to open his eyes. Louis didn't.

He laid with Louis' body for a good hour and a half, stroking his cheek with his knuckles and apologising through his sobs. There's an ache in his chest and an emptiness in the pit of his stomach. He brushes Louis' fringe from his forehead and he wants nothing more than for his husband to grab him by the wrist and kiss the back of his hand.

God, he's not a husband anymore.

Addison interrupts Harry's sobbing with her own, and he realises life has to go on. He can't lay there with Louis' body forever. He has to take care of two little girls, and call the mortician, and Louis' mum and their friends. He feels so sick.

He gets up out of the bed and doesn't look at Louis as he lifts Addison up and cradles her, carrying her out of the room. He closes the door to the bedroom behind him and brings the baby out to the kitchen, sniffling as he calmly prepares a bottle for her.

It's silly, and he knows it, but he doesn't want Addison to sense that anything is wrong. His sweet, beautiful little baby girl who's going to grow up never knowing her daddy. He tries to block it out as he takes the bottle out of the bottle warmer and brings it to Addison's lips.

He slowly brings her to the living room and sits down on the couch, laying her down next to him on the sofa cushion and keeping the bottle to her lips. Reaching over, he picks up the house phone and shakily calls the mortician's number that he had saved into the phone a few weeks ago.

And, he calmly talks to the mortician as Addison drinks her bottle. Jay had already expressed that she and the younger girls didn't want to see Louis in the condition he was in when Harry woke up that morning, and Lottie agreed. He feels so incredibly numb, like he isn't even breathing, while he just tells this woman on the phone his husband's body needs to be taken away monotonously.

The morticians show up, and Harry sets Addison down in a baby swing in the lounge before shaking both of their hands. He then remembers he's still in his pyjamas, hasn't even brushed his teeth yet, and his now short hair is probably a mess. He can't bring himself to even care the smallest bit as they tell him they'll wait while he goes and says goodbye to the body. It's not even Louis anymore. It's just a body.

So, he goes into his bedroom and opens the door, face crumpling as soon as he sees him. He slowly approaches Louis' body and brushes the hair off his forehead, leaning down and pressing a kiss to it.

"I love you, Louis Tomlinson," He whispers, tears running down his cheeks. "And I am so, so sorry this had to happen."

He takes a moment to wipe his eyes before leaning down again and pressing a quick peck to Louis' lips. He can't stand feeling how cold and chapped they are underneath is own.

"Goodbye, Sunshine," Harry mumbles, biting his bottom lip. "I'm going to miss you terribly, love."

And then he has to go back out to the two morticians in his lounge, a blonde woman who's looking at Addison and connecting the dots that the baby's father had probably passed, and a middle-aged man who gives Harry a sympathetic smile.