Thirty-Nine

The presence of Louis in this room, it lingers. It wraps Harry up in the loveliness of it all. The soft words and the lips pressed to his temple and the little baby giggles. It's all here.

Harry closes his eyes, feeling Louis' fingertips on his naked hips and hearing his laughter, drunk off of happiness always. He slowly sits down in the middle of the room, pulling his phone out of his back pocket. Going into his voicemail, he presses on one from around three years ago, bringing his phone to his ear.

"Hey, H. I know you probably didn't answer because you're either studying or you fell asleep studying, but I just wanted to remind you that I love you, and you're going to kick that psych exam's ass tomorrow. You got this, and you're beautiful, and way too smart to be engaged to a dumbass like me, and I cannot wait to marry you in a few months. And, yeah. I know I already said this, but I love you. Good luck."

Harry closes his eyes, tears slipping out and rolling down his cheeks. He's grinning, though, and his chest aches. God, how he misses this. He scrolls down and goes to another one.

"Harry, love, I know you're mad. Perrie told me you don't know when you're coming back home. I'm just...I'm so sorry. I fucked up, I know I did. I hurt your feelings. I know I did. I just want to know that you're okay. I bet Perrie is taking good care of you over there, but I miss you so, so much. I'm ready to talk it out whenever you are. Just...just don't give up on me, yeah? Not now, not like this. I love you."

Harry sniffles, wiping his cheeks with the back of his hand. He can't even remember what had made him so upset with Louis, and he's mad at himself for it. He should have spent all the days that he was able to with Louis. He shouldn't have wasted so much time being mad.

"Hi, babe, I know I always, always forget, but what kind of almond milk do you like? I'm such shit at grocery shopping, I know, I'm sorry. Hope the morning sickness is getting better, text me when you hear this. I love you."

He never hung up without telling Harry he loved him. Not once. His voice is so sweet, and Harry can practically feel the strong arms wrapped around his waist as the same voice asked him about his day. He would always come home from work and let Harry talk on and on about every detail of his day before even thinking about what went on in his own.

The door creaks open, little footsteps padding their way over to Harry. "Straw-buh," Emma says, showing Harry the strawberry Gemma must have given her. Harry can't help but chuckle, a few more tears slipping down his face as he grabs Emma by her hips and kisses her forehead.

"Very nice, baby," He nods. "Try not to stain your jammies, though." He twists his mouth before pressing on another voicemail, kissing Emma's cheek as he does.

"Hiii, love!"

"Daddy!" Emma gasps. Harry grins uncontrollably.

"You're probably busy, but I just wanted to tell you that I love you, and you're incredible, and thank you for scheduling me a haircut because I'm proper useless and don't know how to do it myself. Seems like you're stuck with me forever, though, so I have a feeling you're going to get very good at making appointments for me. I'll see you at home-sorry, but that's so cool to say. I'll see you at home. Our home. Okay, sorry, love you, bye."

"Daddyyy," Emma sings, pointing at Harry's phone. Harry kisses the top of Emma's head, giving her a squeeze.

"I love you, sweet girl," He says before blowing a raspberry into Emma's cheek, one that makes her giggle uncontrollably.

Gemma appears in the doorway holding Addison against her chest. "You okay?" She asks softly. Harry looks up at her and nods, sniffling. Gemma cautiously steps into the room, eyes scanning the picture frames on the walls and the pair of Vans still sitting next to the bed. She sits down next to Harry, moving Addison so she's cradling her in her arms.