Chapter 16

Three days later

Ross' POV

"Mom, I'm here!", I announce as we stumble together inside my mother's apartment.

Her footsteps echo loudly through the large hallway between the rooms as she rushes to greet me. When our eyes meet her smile is the widest.

"Sweetie. You didn't tell me you were gonna come here and..oh hi Colton! Aw, you good boys thinking about the old Diana, how nice. ", she hugs us both as we struggle to breathe.

"Um.. I'm here for the homemade food. ", Colton says as we let go.

"I knew it but please let me enjoy my happiness. ", mom rolls her eyes and leads us to the kitchen when we take off our shoes.

"How's marriage going for you, Mr Prior?", my mother smirks at my best friend.

Colton drops to her couch. "I came to you for the food, how do you think it's going?"

Diana Lynch laughs and asks us if we want to drink anything. We answer with beer and she brings us what we wanted.

"You're lucky the chicken and potatoes will be ready in five minutes. It's like I felt that someone is coming. ", she chuckles.

Smile spreads across my lips. "That's why we love you."

"Aw. Nobody asked you anything. When you get married you can come here and talk like a grown up man. I wanna ask Colton the details. Is a baby on the way?", she claps excitedly.

I cross my arms on my chest. "You suck. "

Colton laughs nervously. "No. Luckily. We don't want a kid until we finish college. Both Kate and I agreed on that. "

"Stupid married best friend. You just had to go get married and turn all the expectations in my way. ", I glare at him.

"What are you blaming me for? Just propose to Lydia and get it done with."

Mom sighs when he mentions her name and rolls her eyes, not saying anything. She tried so hard for me not to see her reaction but I did.

"What's that about?", I ask impatiently.

"You know everything already. ", she takes a sip of her coffee and I drink my beer.

"If you don't like her, you can just openly say it. "

"I can't say I don't like her but I am your mother and I know those things. You have been going out for more than a year and you still haven't brought her to meet your parents. Isn't that enough for you?"

I stare at the big can of beer and frown. "That's not something I should rush. "

"If she was the right one, you'd gladly bring her on the first week already and be overly excited and proud about it. "

"You're saying she's not right for me?", anger builds up inside me.

"Exactly. "

"It's not your place to decide. "

"Then don't ask for my opinion. Can you even imagine spending the rest of your life with that girl?", mom directly asks me and I am taken back.

"I..", I stop to think of what I'm gonna say next. "I don't really know. "

"Exactly. "

"Stop saying exactly. "

"After everything in life that has happened you need to have a good and strong woman you can be proud to show off, who will lead your way. "