Chapter 37

December 14th, around 7 pm

Laura's POV

The night has fallen, the sun has set. I am currently drinking my Nesquik and playing cards with Anna. We are together in our dorm room with Lexi who is chewing down our chips that she paid nothing for. Two of us haven't got a taste of it. 

My roommate and I are sitting leg crossed on the floor, wrapped up in blankets and surrounded by small pillows. Our third friend is by herself on my bed, not really paying attention to us but reading a romance novel instead.

Ah, romance.

That thing currently ruining my life.

I've been keeping up my act of being mad at Ross for not compromising and saying stuff that I wanted to hear, but I miss him. I miss us goofing around, caring about nothing. That day after we left Kate and Colton's place, we went to the dorms and separated. He had his own stuff to do regarding college and so did I. Well, apart from the fact that I told him not to contact me until he is ready to be honest.. Which reminds me, he is doing pretty well not contacting me. It's been days already. It surprises and angers me, as I thought that he would break sooner and come talk to me.

The fact that he said another girl's name in sleep is still present in my mind. That's mostly why I'm mad, not because he is holding back the story about drug addiction. I know those are tough to speak about and I wouldn't pressure him much (just a bit, maybe) if it were only about that, but.. There's obviously some woman I need to know about. I am just so nervous about this.

"It's a showdown. ", I announce and Anna drops her cards on the fold between us.

"Top pair. ", she says proudly.

I raise my eyebrow and slowly put down my own pile.

"Backdoor. ", I give her a small smirk when the light shines on my five hearts.

Her mouth drops and she shakes her head. "You're a monster. "

"Poker is my profession. You owe me pizza. ", I pick up my stack and put it aside.

"We didn't say anything about owing the winner. ", she glares at me.

"Well, you think I'm going to spend my time on you for nothing?", I laugh.

"Same old Laura. Fine. Good to know that getting a proper boyfriend didn't lower your gambling skills. ", Anna remarks and leans back against her bed, losing all her energy. Yeah. I told everyone. 

If this relationship blows up in hell, well, so will I. I don't care anymore. I don't want to make Ross uneasy. That's the least that could be done on my part. His part is still not done though.

I glare at her. "I told you not to make jokes about it... "

"How can I not make jokes? I mean you're like lovestruck. And he has always been handling you pretty well ", she chuckles at me and I jump at her and tackle her down. Her dark blonde hair, which she had died about three days ago, scatters around the floor in a mess as I hold her under me. Anna squeaks and tosses around, trying to get free.

"Shut up. ", I laugh as I fake hit her.

"Lovesick puppy. ", her greenish eyes light up with humor when she laughs in my face.

"I am not lovesick. "

"Keep telling yourself that. By the way, I never heard a thank you for having such good intuition. Remember I told you before Colton's wedding to hook up with Ross? " she smirks.

I roll my eyes and just as I am about to answer, the door of the room opens suddenly, revealing soaked Colton's wife with a distraught look on her face and a bag in her hand. Her dark brown hair is ruffled and stained with water, with small snowflakes all around it.