Chapter 40: Let the Battle Begin

***

Ashlyn's POV

***

Umalis din si Elaine agad. She said she just stopped by. Pumunta na kami sa loob para kunin yung mga gamit namin. Ethan was the first one to exit the room since he's with his family.

We finished packing immediately since we only have a few things. Jasper, Cheska, Raven and Brittney headed downstairs to my parents while Nathan and I headed for his car. No one dared to utter a word. My parents together with our friends were the first to move and Nathan and I followed.

During the trip, we stayed silent. I put on my earphones and pretended to be asleep. I just didn't want to talk right now. Then, he broke the silence.

"I know you're in a difficult situation Ash, and I'm sorry if I'm one of the reasons you feel this way. But I hope you understand, I let him be with you and you got hurt, I'm not gonna sit in the corner and watch it happen again..."

Was that suppose to make me feel better?! From faking my sleep...I actually fell asleep...

- - -

"Hello Ashlyn...", I heard a voice calling my name. He was standing in front of  house. It was like an old mansion...

"Who are you and where am I?"

"Sis....it's me. It's your kuya!", I narrowed my eyes to see who it was....

"Kuya Zayne?"

"Ashlyn!!", I looked behind me...it was kuya Zayne. Wait, if that's kuya Zayne...then who's---

"I'm sorry Ashlyn...", sabi ni kuya Zayne na may hawak na kandila pero nabitawan nya. The flames made its way towards the mansion...setting the whole place on fire. I turned around and kuya Zayne was nowhere to be seen. The other boy on the other hand, was being dragged inside the burning house...he was yelling for 'help'.

I rushed into the house but he wasn't there...instead, there was a little boy sleeping in the room. I tried to carry him but I can't. My hands went through him. Then, with a blink of an eye, everything disappeared. Everything was white. I was alone, but there were voices.

Hindi ko man makita kung sino yun, kilalang kilala ko yung boses nila.

It was kuya Zayne and ate Lanny's voice. They were both saying sorry repeatedly....

When everything was about to stay silent, a figure appeared before me and I felt a tight hug...I couldn't move.

"Hey sis...I miss you...", it can't be...that voice...

"Ashlyn...", everything was starting to fade.

-

"Ashlyn...", I woke up. Another 'flaming' dream.

"Hey wake up sleepy head...we're back", it was Nathan. I still can't stop thinking about my dream though, that voice...

It's almost 6....maybe because of traffic.

He carried my things into our house. Pagdating ko sa sala, nakatulog sila Brittney at Cheska sa sofa. Sila Raven at Jasper naman, inaayos yung mga bag nila. But to my surprise, another figure was in the house.

"Ethan?", Brittney said as she gained full consciousness.

"Ano'ng ginagawa mo dito?", I asked in a cold tone.

"Well, it just happens that I got here earlier than you guys so I thought it would be a good idea to surprise you", pft...now I hate surprises.

We were quiet for about 7 seconds until Raven broke the silence.

"So uhm...I think we should get going. May pasok pa tayo bukas guys. Uhm, Jas, gisingin mo na girlfriend mo", Jasper just stood there. Siguro naninibago pa din siya sa term na 'girlfriend'. Afterall, Cheska is his first one. It took him a few seconds before approaching the sleeping girl.

Nathan handed me my bags since I asked him to. As expected, Ethan jumped in the picture.

"Let me help you with that", aabutin niya na sana yung bag pero linayo ko nalang.

"I can manage, thank you", sabi ko at dumeretsyo sa kwarto.

Lord please! Help me survive in the following days! I dropped my bags on the side and proceeded downstairs.

Here we go again with the staring game. Ethan and Nathan were seated on the opposite side of the living room.

"Uh...Ash! Mauna na kami ha? May pasok pa tayo bukas. Guys tara na!", Cheska cleared the air.

"Bye Ash/Bye Ash", at sabay nanaman po ang dalawang '-than' na ito.

"Ingat kayo!", sabi ko nalang na kunware walang nangyari. Within 5 minutes, they were completely out of my sight.

Finally, some peace and quiet. I went straight to my room after eating dinner. The butterflies in my stomach won't stop. I just hope tomorrow will end up okay...

- - -

Fortunately, the day started....normally. Good mornings here and there. But the worst part was knowing I have to sit for 8 hours inside those 4 walls.

As I approach my seat, my eyes widen at the sight of two roses on my desk. A white one and a red one.

"Well well well, what do we have here?", Jhiellian entered the scene.

I ignored her and sat down. And as if right on cue, the two of them appeard. I ignored them both throughout the class.

- - -

My day was out of the ordinary.  They kept on following me like stalkers. Lunch was the worst part. They both offered me food which I both declined. And that not-so-bright decision almost started a fight.

On the way home, I was with the group. Yes, we're whole again. Elaine's back. Nathan and Ethan kept on fighting like kids which forced me to go home earlier than usual. But that didn't stop there.

I took a shower and ate before going online. And here we go again, why do I have a feeling that this would happen?

*NATHANIEL LAWSON VS. ETHAN ROGERS*

*THE FIGHT FOR ASHLYN'S HAND*

*PRINCE-LY DUEL*

*WHO'S YOUR BET?*

Ilan lang yan sa mga headlines na nabasa ko. Seriously, why is it such a big deal?!

"Ate!!!", I was startled by a high-pitched scream. Right on cue, Vanessa barged in.

"Andito si kuya Ethan!!", what?! Ano nanaman ba?

I lazily walked to the living room.

"Uhm, hi. I came to apologize for my behavior earlier", I just crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow.

"Ethan! Napadalaw ka", mom interrupted.

"May inabot lang po kay Ashlyn. Mauna na po 'ko"

"Can I talk to you for a sec?", dad asked. They talked for almost 5 minutes before Ethan left.

"Ashlyn, when are you planning to tell us about your little competition?"

Oh shoot...