Chapter 14 - I Think Im Gonna Like It Here

I sit on a vinyl chair beside the hospital bed, Sam's hand clasped in the both of mine. The sound of a steady heartbeat is one of the only sounds in the room, the other being the machine pumping oxygen into Sam's lungs.

The TV is on in the background, but on silent. The only thing on any channels are the news reports of the massive global meteor shower, but in reality it's all of the angels that fell to Earth.

My eyes focus in on the X-ray on the wall, the doctor explaining to us what is going on inside the body of the man I love, "The MRI shows massive internal burns affecting many of the major organs. Oxygen to the brain has been severely deprived. The coma is the result of the body doing everything in it's limited power to protect itself from further harm."

"So what's supposed to happen?" Dean asks as he comes to a stop from his pacing.

"If your brother continues on this trajectory, the machines might keep him alive, but-" He trails off and an ominous feeling comes over me, "He'll be dead."

He turns towards me with a look of pity, "Technically, yes, I'm afraid so."

"So, there's- there's no recovering. I mean, there's no bounce back, there's nothin'?" Dean asks, barely keeping it together.

"I'm afraid, that's in God's hands now." The doctor states, but I know instantly it's the wrong choice of words.

Dean narrows his eyes at him as his jaw tightens, "You're a doctor. You're a medical professional. You're trying to tell me that my brother's life is in God's hands? What is that supposed to be-- a comfort?"

"Mr Doreghty-" The doctor begins, but Dean cuts him off with a loud voice, "No, God has nothing to do with this equation at all!"

"I didn't mean-" The doctor begins, but Dean cuts him off, "That's not good enough!"

I place my hand on his arm and stand up, meeting his eyes, "Dean!"

He turns to me and I give him a look, "Take a walk."

He looks at me briefly before turning and storming out of the room. I watch after him before turning to the doctor who looks at me apologetically, "I'm sorry."

I nod my head as my arms fold over my chest, "Thank you."

He turns and leaves the room, leaving me alone with the sound of the machines. My eyes shift back down towards Sam's lifeless body. He looks so peaceful, but a war is going on in his body. My chin begins to tremble as tears fill my eyes, spilling over the lids and down my cheeks.

I let out a sob and fall back into the chair, cradling my head in my hands. My heart aches for Sam, wishing that he was awake. As much as I love Dean, he isn't someone I can really turn to for comfort. His thoughts are too clouded by anger and fear to think rationally.

On our way to the hospital, he begged for me to heal Sam. And I tried. God, did I try. But even with this archangel grace in me, it didn't make a dent to heal Sam. I think of that news, that I have archangel grace. I haven't really thought about it since Castiel told me. I don't even know what to do with that information.

I lift my head up and look at Sam, praying for him to wake up. That somehow, somewhere, God can hear my prayer. But with the track record of my life, I know there's no point. Instead and I climb into the bed beside Sam, curling into his side and resting my head on his chest. The sound of his heart beating gives me some consolation, but it's weak and it reminds me of how damaged he really is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of the door to the hospital room closing awakes me and I open my eyes, seeing Dean walk in. My throat is dry and coarse, my cheeks puffy from all the tears. I sit up gently and wipe at them.