Chapter 11- Devotion

Shawn Mendes *POV*

     I strummed my guitar absentmindedly, unable to focus. I noticed that my thoughts were consumed by Katie.

     Time. She said she needed time. Time for what? To think, she replied. When I'm with you, I can't think clearly.

     What did that mean? Was it my fault? Did I overwhelm her? Was I reading too much into something that was insignificant? I ran my fingers through my hair, sighing. My doorbell rang, and opened the door to see my sister, Aaliyah. "Hey, honey. You can come in and make yourself at home, you know that."

     "I know," she smirked and reached out for me. I held her close, and she laid her head on my chest. "I've missed you."

     "Me too. But to what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" I stroked her hair, and tenderly eased her arms off of me. She reluctantly let go.

     "I missed you. You're my older brother, but I've barely talked to you since your latest tour. And you haven't been responding to my texts," she said, speaking softly.

      I looked down at my phone to find seven new messages from Aaliyah. "I'm sorry. I've been lost in my own world, and I haven't spent as much time with you as I should have," I bowed my head, guiltily.

     "You know it doesn't make me love you any less. I was just worried. You do know you can talk to me, right?" Her eyes searched me.

     "I do. So can I take advantage of that right now?" Aaliyah nodded, sitting on the stool by the kitchen counter, and I joined her. "I was eleven when I met Katie. Katie Mitchell. You were younger, but I'm sure you'd remember her. We were close friends. What began as a friendship became a romance, and ended in heartbreak. She was my biggest supporter, and she helped me set up my first concert. She promised to be there for me. However, she wasn't on her flight, which I was unaware of at the time. I went through with my concert by myself. I ignored her texts, calls, and e-mails, not bothering to hear her apology or excuse. It wasn't until the other day when I ran into her and she explained. The pieces in the puzzle fit, but I can't forgive myself or rid myself of the guilt."

      Aaliyah eyed me, seeing how broken it left me. "Shawn..." she started, "you have to realize that she's struggling with the same guilt. You may have told her that you've forgiven her, but she'll never forgive herself, regardless of whether it was her fault or not. Knowing you've broken someone's heart is a heavy burden to bear, and knowing that she hurt you, is tearing her apart. She needs you, Shawn. She won't admit it. She's broken, and lonely, without you. Be there; care for her, give her flowers, tell her that she's beautiful, fix her breakfast,... she's never known that kind of devotion. And I can tell that by looking in your eyes, you've never moved on from her."