Chapter XIV

Dominus had spent most of his day standing on the balcony watching the men during their training. I had sent Irena to attend to him for the day giving me some much needed time away from the constant fawning over Dominus' new pet. Standing in the kitchen I was helping Camila as she was preparing their night meal.

"Jana, finally." I heard from behind me as I turned to see Naevia standing behind me.

"Naevia, should you not be trailing about Domina?" I asked her as she rolled her eyes making her way towards me. "She and Dominus requested to be left alone on the balcony. I believe it is just Irena and Aria." She sighed as she joined us in the preparing of food.

"It has been too long since we got to spend time together." I told her as she nodded, "I remember a time when we used to spend whole days together." She laughed.

I looked around and watched as Camila had now turned her back to us, "Then come with me, there is so much we have to catch up on." I told her.

"If Dominus was to see either of us not attending to our duties he would see us to the mines." She told me, "Remember that one slave? The Sardinian male he had purchased last year?"

I arched my brow at her, "I do, but he was different." I reminded her. "Surely they would not punish us for wanting to spend time with one another." I told her.

"Jana, we are slaves. If Dominus ever found out that Oenomaus was teaching you he would send you to the mines. It would look like rebellion, remember when Aria first came to the house and she spoke out of turn... had I not spoken for her..." She began to say as I just sighed.

"The mines, I know." She smiled at me as I just stood there, the mines. Fate worse than death, the things we had all heard about what happened at the mines was enough to stop us from stepping out of line. I was lucky enough to have Dominus' trust and confidence yet Naevia was right. "I suppose I will go prepare Dominus chambers for him. With the Vulcanalia coming up, he will want to know what he can purchase right away." I told her as Naevia smiled to me.

"I will see you before bed." She smiled again.

Naevia was the perfect slave; she never stepped out of line, never spoke out of turn never did anything wrong. I was becoming less and less able to be the slave I was supposed to be, I convinced Dominus to purchase slaves and two had already died, both before they could even prove themselves in the arena. They would have been better off in the mines in terms of the coin they were worth.

I slowly made my way to the chambers looking around me, the things that had happened in this villa. I would be so easy to escape from the villa right now, not that I was mad enough to even attempt such a thing. With the upcoming games the amount of guards within the city would be increasingly high. Not that I even had a clue as to where Gannicus had made his way too this house would become my tomb. "Jana. You are being summoned." A guard spoke to me taking me out of my thoughts. I had been standing exactly where Gannicus had taken me our first night together.

"Yes." I spoke as I followed the guard to the balcony where Dominus was standing his back to me, Domina lounging on the chair. "Dominus." I spoke as I bowed my head.

"Come here." He motioned for me to take a spot next to him. "What do you see down there?" He asked me.

"The gladiators, the sands the forged this houses names. Dominus." I told him.

He nodded looking over them, Varro sparring with Spartacus. Crixus returned to his proper state fighting alongside Gnaeus. Rhaskos and Barca, seemingly in attempt to kill one another in simple fight. "What do you not see." He asked me as I looked to him in confusion.