Chapter XVIII

I sat in the carriage with the gladiators on the way back to the ludus as Crixus was already on his way. I looked around at the men each of them either wounded or covered in blood and yet they all remained silent. The rain was seeping into the cart slowly, drops softly hitting my robes, I looked over at Oenomaus. The words needed not be spoken, yet we both knew this win... was the beginning of something unstoppable.

"Prepare to be attended by your Dominus when he returns to the Villa." I spoke to them as I began to head towards the steps to await them when they were to return. I felt a hand grab onto my wrist.

Turning I saw Spartacus as he looked at me, confusion swirling his eyes. "Spartacus?" I questioned him softly.

"Tell me... has she been found." He asked me as I took the time to move us under shelter from the rain. "I know where your wife Sura is yes." I told him. "She is safe then?"

I closed my eyes and shook my head, "We are never safe, even if she does return to you. She may not be the woman you once held close to your heart you know this." I told him. "Until she is in my arms." He started to say as I began to walk away.

"You are up to something, I feel it in my bones." He told me as he slowly followed me. "The only thing that I am upto Spartacus is surviving. A thing you should even more so be in agreeance to be trying. Once, if Crixus heals he will hate you even more. If they find your wife, he life hangs in the balance of how many coins you can win for them... this is a game dear Spartacus. This life the board, our lives the pieces." I told him before closing the gate behind me and returning up the stairs.

"Jana, good. The men are ready?" He questioned me as I nodded. "Yes, Dominus."

"Have the Thracian brought up to the Balcony." He told me as I nodded, "He broached subject of his wife, Dominus. We are still searching for her?" I asked him.

Dominus looked annoyed with the question as I nodded slowly, "I will send for him." I told him as I walked back out and towards a guard. "Send for the Thracian and inform Oenomaus the men below are to attend him on the balcony." I told the man as he nodded. I waited at the top of the steps for Spartacus which he looked eager, giddy almost. "Do not broach Dominus with subject of your wife. I just had he seemed uninterested in the subject as of late." I told him as I walked him to the balcony.

He took his place on the other side of Dominus as I stood back next to Naevia. "We have seen misfortune. Felt the sting of defeat. The humility of vacant purce and empty stomach. Some believed the House of Batiatus would never reclaim its former glory. That we would fade from memory, forsaken by history. But we have proved them wrong." He shouted out loud as all the men roared in agreement, "We have proved the name Batiatus will live long after we have gone to dust and bone. So stand proud before the Bringer of Rain! The slayer of the Shadow of Death! The new Champion of Capua! Spartacus!" He shouted to the men as the cheered for the man with excitement.

"Spartacus! Spartacus!" They began to cheer as I noticed from the corner of my eye, Ashur. He looked so upset, like this was a downfall for him or something. Why did he look like he was up to something, his eyes they were giving him away.

Here we all cheer for the man who was now going to bring much needed fame to the ludus, and yet not so far away Crixus lay with his life being called into question. How quickly we could become forgotten, a sour reminder of how fleeting our slave lives really were. "A titan, his victory eclipsing all others! Quenching our thirst! Fulfilling our hopes and dreams! Behold the man, as he becomes legend!" Dominus shouted out among the men.