Chapter XXXV

Naevia rushed out of the room leaving me standing there with the men as I looked over to them. Lucius had averted his eyes from all of us; "Have they announced who will be their executioner?" I questioned as he shook his head.

"All that was said is it will be a spectacle of a lifetime. Most likely a Gladiator from Pompeii." He offered as I nodded. "At least the blood would not be on the hands of a friend." I remarked.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Agron asked me.

"Spectacle of a lifetime?" I spat out, "That could be one of Solonius' men if they are still alive after his ludus was dissolved. Men that used to be from our house but sold away, anything to insult the men set to die. We're talking about Romans... they would no doubt throw salt into already grievous wounds."

"She is right; If this man Varinus is anything like Batiatus or even Glaber he will wish to see the men insulted one last time before their death." Spartacus spoke up.

"Death clearly not being insult enough." I spat as Agron moved over to me, "Come, let us leave them to talk... We must spare words." He told me as he left the room.

"You and Spartacus speak to me as if I am part of this leadership yet at any possible turn you shun me away." I snapped at him when we reached the stairs.

Agron just let out a long annoyed groan before pushing my back to the wall. "Clearly not in attempt to upset you. Some things just should not be spoken about in front of a woman, least of all a woman so close to a grieving Gaul's woman."

"Seriously? Naevia has just as much of a right to know things as I. She is Crixus' heart... without her you quite literally have an animal incapable of compassion. Her being involved and knowing things really only benefits Spartacus."

"That might be true, was she still the girl from the villa. You don't know what they put her through, Jana and assuming you know her pain will only cause rift between the two of you. She is not to be privy to information spoken between the leaders of this rebellion. You would be wise to keep that in mind should you wish to keep your spot in it." Agron told me as he punched the wall lightly before marching off leaving me alone in the stairwell.

I stayed there mulling over each and every single word he had just said, he was not wrong. You could see it in Naevia's eyes that the once sweet, delicate, kind hearted girl was just not inside that body anymore. Naevia was broken, defeated, lost... and now without Crixus yet again. This was not a thing I could ever understand. The more time away from Gannicus the more I realized I never had him the way Naevia has Crixus.

He literally fought to be close to her. Gannicus left without a second thought. I told him to go yes; but he didn't even fight to stay with me. The thought weighed me down as I slid down the cold stone wall until I was sitting on the dirt floor tears slowly flooding down my cheeks. I really only had Agron left, everyone else was gone. I wondered if Naevia even still thought of me as a sister like she once had. Or if this would be just like it had been with Diona and she would just push me away.