Chapter XXI

It had been nearly a month since Spartacus had proclaimed himself of his namesake, since he 'accepted' his former life was gone. I had attempted to broker conversation with him a few nights, him either telling me this was his life now; which was a lie. The hatred had been growing in his eyes like a fire. Or he would just tell me how he needed to be at one with his thoughts, either way the man was secluding himself from his friends. All but Varro.

Varro on the other hand had returned to his gambling with the other men, and when he had enough coin from his winnings he would purchase wine. Even use his winnings for his gambling, though he himself was seemingly becoming more and more lost like his champion friend. I had spent the last few games staying in the Villa. Properly handling the coin and making sure all expenses were being covered to their fullest.

A thing that not but a year before would have been seen to be impossible, yet now the chests were near overflowing. Once when I was in the market about a week ago a small boy handed me a letter before instantly vanishing into the crowd around us. It had been from Pietros, knowing enough that he was safe and hadn't in fact fled over the cliff swelled my heart.

'Dearest Jana;

Gratitude for helping me secure my freedom, and for the honesty of which you parted to me about Barca. Only such a friend would be bold enough to risk life for another, I seek to leave Rome and head towards the lands Barca and his people had once called home. I asked a young merchant girl to assist me in writing this to you, I will not write again. Just know I am safe and it is because of you.

Forever your grateful friend,

Pietros'

Knowing the boy was safe, and all those he was finding to help him were keeping him that was was more than enough to allow me at least a small amount of sleep. I have burned the letter quickly, for its discovery and the knowledge of the boy being alive would surely consider my life forfeit. I had told Naevia of the letter before we had gone to sleep that night, she was overjoyed with the news his life was still his and that it was now free.

A thing the rest of us could only dream of.

I had told Dominus before he left for the games this morning that there was to be a auction of substantial men the following day. A few Gauls, Germans, as well as a Phoenician, Numidian and a Celt or something similar. The last Numidian that fought it this house was Oenomaus and the last Celt was Gannicus, the last Germans we had both died shortly after entering the arena so the prospects were rather high that the stock would be very good. He was more than happy at the sounds of shoving purchase into Solonius' face yet again.

The next morning Dominus rounded myself, Ashur and Oenomaus to join him in the market to view the stock. Oenomaus having already inspected each of the men before we had even really been able to view them ourselves. I had to admit I was rather excited, the last time Dominus brought me to purchase gladiators was the day before we secured Spartacus.

He even admitted only bringing Ashur, had been resulting in bad stock. He considered me his lucky charm for the day. Oenomaus quickly returned himself to our side as, as Dominus spoke that fortune favored our house. "A fine selection, enough coin to take our pick." He said as I had to move around Ashur to take my place next to Dominus. "Your competitor approaches." Ashur leaned over my head to tell Dominus.