Chapter XXXI

After cleaning the blood from my skin I found myself sitting near some fire, staring into the flames remembering all those we had lost to get to this point. So much bloodshed, just so we can live like everyone else. Free. The pain of losing Duro still gripped hold of me, strangling me of being able to show my pain like I had when we lost many countless others. Tossing a rock into the water I let out a sigh, I wished Agron and I could just speak freely when I came to Duro. I wished nothing more than to properly mourn my brother.

"You went with the men?" Mira asked as she sat next to me.

"Yes, I hope it bore fruit. Crixus and a few of his men have not yet returned." I told her as she smiled over to me, "Do you want to talk to me about the night we escaped?" She asked me. "I saw you with your brother, you were both covered in blood... Spartacus-" She had begun to speak.

"I killed two guards." I told her, "Maybe three, I honestly cannot remember. I do however remember watching Duro die in Agron's arms... his last words of love for me. A brother I never got to know beyond few words spoken through bars. Agron doesn't even want to talk about it, or him... I fear every Roman he kills is the guard who took Duro." I told her.

"I fear the anger will cause him to go blood drunk. I just want to know who I am, who they are... I want the family robbed from me by the Romans." I continued, "I wish to see Gannicus again, would he even want me with who I have become." I told her as she smiled to me.

"Jana... Don't doubt your worth like that. I'm sure should rumor of the fall of the House of Batiatus reach Gannicus he would part the heavens to find you. As for Agron he is probably not even sure how to handle the grief himself, let alone how to console you. He's very protective of you from what I hear." She told me.

"He is." I looked over at the fire again feeling it's warmth against my face. Remembering moments past with Gannicus wrapped around me in loving embrace, or Duro's silly smile as he would spare few words with me from the balcony during training. "Though, to a degree he needs to let me grow. I'm not a child anymore, he needs to let me be as his equal." I explained.

"Crixus returns." She stated causing me to look over to where her attention had been removed to. I let out a sigh as I tapped her on her knee, "Soon enough we will all leave these halls of shit water and move onward to better life. Perhaps you and Spartacus can join Agron and I when we return to the Rhineland's." I told her as she laughed softly. "Spartacus did say Agron spoke of bringing you back to where you lived as a girl, to find a new clan."

I stood up readying to find my small bed near Agron and Donar when I saw Crixus walking from Spartacus, his face sullen and filled with slight rage. I quickly cut him off standing in his way watching as he let out a long sigh, "What did the shit say of Naevia..." I asked harshly.

"I will spare you awful details." He told me, "Though he mentioned of her passing between Dominus' in villas to the south. Spartacus cautions patience..." He told me softly.

"The man who brought down and house filled with notable and noble Roman's?" I shook my head, "Well then when do we leave to find her?" I questioned him, "The things she must have been forced to endure at the cost of Lucretia's anger..." I faded as he put his hand to my shoulder.