Chapter XV

"I think you have taught me everything I will be able to learn." Ashur joked as we left Dominus chamber. I had been showing him the numbers, how to look at the books, proper documents, all morning and afternoon. We even left to the market to gather information regarding new shipments of slaves yet nothing proved to be in the least bit promising by the sounds of it.

"Not everything, there is much to learn by simply doing. Quintus will always expect you to be on your feet." I told him as he nodded, we entered the garden sitting on one of the many benches.

"You miss him, don't you?" He asked me as I furrowed my brow. "Gannicus." He offered.

"Probably more than your hate of Crixus and desire to be back on the sands combined... yes." I told him as I felt his hand on my shoulder. "I could attempt in tracking him down?" He offered as I smiled shaking my head.

"I appreciate the sentiment, yet he won his freedom." I told him as I looked out at some of the greenery that was now dead, and the empty pool. "And you won servitude." He said glumly.

"Why did you kill Dagan? Was it of jealousy or had something gone down. The real reason not the lie you had told Quintus." I told him as his eyes seemed to surry about the room.

"I would not look to say things that would foul our friendship." He told me, I again shook my head. "You could not." I told him, "Like Naevia, you have shown to be not just an ally but a trusted friend." I informed him.

"Jealousy." He told me after a few moments of thought. "He was gaining more coin than me, more respect from our brothers leaving me to just be translator. I grew sick of it, jealous, the party you did not attend." He started to say before looking at me.

"The one when Gaia died." I confirmed to him. "Yes, that one... I offered him to a Roman guest for, rough pleasuring...It ended up in him wanting to kill me, so I eliminated him when I knew I could." He confessed.

"Honesty, a rare thing in this house." I told him with a smile, "Gratitude for telling me." I told him as the doors to the villa near burst open, Dominus shouting and raving as Naevia almost seemed to run in. "He is of a foul mood, Spartacus showed the misso... he fought awfully against Crixus... he has lost is favor with the people." She told us fear gripping her eyes.

I had warned him.

"Jana, come with me." Dominus spoke after he and Domina had finished their meal.

I followed him below to the ludus, as he explained to me he was going to send Spartacus to the pits. "Who will protect you?" I asked him confused. "Well, the first night I will take Barca and Ashur. You will stay here and learn how to properly defend yourself with Oenomaus or someone of his choosing, a lesser man most likely then, you will attend like you are supposed to. Can't have anyone trying to take chance on either of our lives as such."

"Does this mean Kurza will also be going to the pits? He had performed poorly too." I spoke up as he stopped turning to look to me, "Didn't think of that, yes...Kurza too. Naevia told you did she?" He asked me as I nodded to him slowly.

Following Dominus through the courtyard he instructed me to gather Barca and Ashur, who was still staying in the ludus for the time being and meet with them in the medicus chambers for him and Spartacus. Who at the same time was being dragged in chains to where Dominus was now standing at the cliffs edge.

"What is that about?" Barca questioned me once he arrived pointing over at Dominus as he stood over Spartacus. "He is to be sent to the pits with this one." I pointed at Kurza, Barca erupted into laughter, "Which involves me how?" He questioned me.

"We all have our part to play." I informed him as he just wiped his face before taking a seat in the room as Ashur walked towards me. "What pray tell will be my part?" He asked me.