Chapter Twenty Three

"Cheer up Mattie, you'll get to leave Gilbert and those other guys behind, and maybe you and Liza will hit it off again," his father chuckled a bit. He rather liked Liza, she was funny and so much like the Matthias they seemed to have left in Denmark.

They were now in the last hour of their __ hour flight, his father was already really excited. He was the hesitant one when they moved. Denmark was his homeland and the homeland of his ancestors, in short: he was a proud Dane, Matthias would be too if he wasn't bummed out.

"Oh look! It's that mountain we went on our first date on," Matthias' mom exclaimed, looking out the window. They were going home and she couldn't pretend to be bummed. She would be able to visit her parents, her brother, her friends. That was another thing Matthias was dreading: meeting with friends again.

~
(Danish)

One week later at school

"Oh my gosh! MATTTTTTTTTTTTT!" the girl lunged into Matthias' unsuspecting arms. He stumbled backwards with a sheepish smile on his face.

"Hej," he said simply, but then she looked at his foot.

"Oh! Sorry! But wowowow what?! What are you doing here mister maple syrup?" she asked, a smirk on her face. He grinned.

"Why? Can't I be here?" and so his 'life' of lies began. His first lie was that he was happy to be there.

"Woah," their whole group of friends stopped him their tracks when they saw Matt holding Liza, they were facing each other, inches away from kissing.

"Get a room Matt—wait..." Aleks froze a bit after the rest, he thought it was just Liza being Liza and she tripped, and this dude caught her. But it was Matthias.

"Missed ya too bro," he rolled his eyes then kissed Liza quickly and walked to their group with her.

"There's a policy against kissing in the building Mattie," someone teased. He rolled his eyes again, and then whispered, "well if it's straight they'll be okay," but no one heard.

"Wanna ditch?" Aleks offered, seeing as Matthias was back, he deserved a good welcoming, not one in science class.

"Of course bae~" Matt teased, they were the type to pretend like this...he reminded himself of Gilbert: that scared him.

"Oh Matt, haven't changed a bit," a girl rolled her eyes this time. Little did they know...

"Where we going to though bae? You hurt your poor leg," Aleks winked and earned a slap on the arm from Liza. He rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry about me, I can still beat you at a bike race in this condition," he said with a smirk, then added, "bae~"

"Get a room fags," Hugo, another boy told them, to that Matthias internally shuddered, but he just winked.

"We might just do that," Aleks added, he had blond hair like Matthias' always had a goofy grin, he had eyes that would go from green to blue at times, but his hair wasn't as spikey as Matt's. If Matt didn't know better he'd be attracted to him, he may as well have been before.

"There's no 'might' honey," that was the end of the conversation, since everyone burst out laughing. Then the group went out the front doors, into either Aleks' or Hugo's car.

"Bae gets shotgun," the other blond boy told everyone walking to his car, and as requested, Matt took the passenger seat.

"Thanks bae," he blew a kiss, then Aleks chuckled and started driving off. He drove off to his house, which was a good 30 minutes away. They would probably all watch a movie or stuff.

~

"Which movie?" someone—Matthias didn't know who, asked.

"How 'bout that American movie?" someone else suggested, then there was a murmur of agreement. Matthias was confused, it was so vague, he gulped, vague: Lukas.

"There're millions of American movies dude," he blurted, then everyone just laughed.

"Oh right, we have an American now," someone remarked, then sniggered.

"Actually I'm Canadian..."

This was going to be a long night.

~

"Spin it bae~"

Matthias took the bottle and gave it a good spin, he really wanted it to land on Liza, so it wouldn't be weird. It may not seem like he changed, but he didn't feel like making out with random people he barely knew.

It was slowing...

"Matt..." he wasn't calling him 'bae' anymore. This would be hella weird. They were doing 7 minutes in the closet. Two people just came out with blushing faces, and they went in. Matthias wasn't going to do anything, but his face was yanked into a forceful kiss. He didn't kiss back, stunned. They broke apart and here was a heavy silence. Aleks looked down.

"I shouldn't have..."

Matthias didn't know if it was the alcohol, or his longing for someone to replace Lukas, but he pulled him back.

~

They came out, both tried not to blush. Matthias was rather quick though and made a remark.

"You think that guy died?" he asked Aleks, and he played along.

"Nah bro—bae, he had a helmet," then they laughed. Everyone assumed they were watching some biking video.

~

"Bye guys!" now Matt was alone with Aleks again, Liza had just left. He didn't call his parents yet because his friend wanted to talk about what happened.

"So, welcome back Matthias," he started off, today his eyes were a cool green shade. He sat on the couch and gestured for him to come too. He did.

"Thanks, feeling pretty welcome right now," he smiled, but couldn't get to looking at the other Dane.

"So about erm, your flight," he dodged the closet.

"Yea, it was really long, or well, normally long," he explained, not fidgeting with his tie.

"Okay, I'm just gonna ask," he took a deep breath before continuing. "The closet, why'd you kiss me back?" he asked.

"Well why'd you kiss me?" Matt didn't want to tell him he was—still drunk, and that he liked Lukas.

"I don't know," he admitted, "I guess you were there and...you look nice," he blushed a bit. Matthias wasn't expecting this. Nope, not at all.

"I didn't know you felt that way," the answer came out timidly. He wanted this for some reason. Aleks could make him forget about his whole life in Canada. Aleks was there. He would always be there, he was always there. This was his first friend. These were the thoughts that triggered his next actions.

He grabbed at the boy's tie and kissed him again, he got a response right away. This would have to be their secret—great, another lie and it was the first day.

This took an unexpected turn eh? Welp. Poor Lukas—actually, poor everyone but like idk Feli and Luddy—wait no they have to pretend. Not poor...hm...Nora. Boom. Oki yea, sorry again if it's rushed. And erm, alternate ending:

(Brief, or you could say vague)

Matthias decided to stay in Denmark and stay with his old best friend, forcing him to forget about Lukas. Lukas dies.

(Glad I won't end with this)