Chapter Twenty Six

It had now been a week since Lukas awoke, he still knew nothing about Matthias. The school decided to keep it a secret from everyone, and his parents thought maybe the right thing to do was to have him forget about Matt with time.

Everyone at school simply assumed he pulled a Roderich. Thanks to Gilbert, who was now struggling with...his own problems.

Lukas has actually gotten dms from students he didn't know knew he existed saying they were sorry for what happened to Matthias.

What the heck was going on?

~

Mikkel Køhler was informed of Lukas' state, but also of the plan that mr. and mrs. Bondevik had so Lukas would forget about Matthias. He decided if Matthias knew Lukas was okay, his son might want to move back...so he came up with a little lie.

One night he called Matthias out from his room to have a little chat. Their house was much bigger than the one in Canada, but Matthias still stayed in his room whenever they were home.

"What is it dad? I have homework," the teen explained from the top of the staircase. But then once his father gave him a look, he came down the stairs.

"It's about Lukas," he started, not knowing how to put this on his son. He really hoped Matthias wouldn't blame himself.

"Yea? He woke up already? Can I call him?" Matthias asked, suddenly very aware of the conversation—one of the first he had with his father in a while.

"No, um, Matt can you take a seat?" he asked, wanting to be convincing. "You see, his body wa—is really small and...the pills did some damage, and he...well he was brought home after he woke up but he didn't last the night."

Silence.

More silence.

Matthias ran out, not bother to ask anything else, he had heard enough, more than enough actually. Lukas was dead.

~

"Lukas honey!" his mother hollered from the kitchen, so Lukas got off of his place on the couch and slowly made his way to the table.

"Yah mom?" he asked, sulking as usual.

"You want to know what happened to Matthias honey?" she asked as nonchalantly as she could—which was rather difficult. Lukas suddenly seemed alive again, he needed to know. He sat up straight and everything as he answered.

"Yes!" it wasn't his usual tone either. Just seeing all this change made Matilde want to tell him the truth...but they had agreed on this...fib.

"He, um, he moved to Denmark again but...he went cliff jumping with some guy and," she looked down, "I'm sorry Luka."

Silence.

"What do you mean you're sorry?!" he stood up.

"Lukas you'll hurt yourself..."

"You think I care?" his voice broke, "he's gone isn't he?" he took a seat again, "gone..."

"I'm here for you Lukas, just talk to me, we...we can call his parents if you want but—"

"I'm not hungry mom, thanks."

"Lukas it isn't healthy to—"

"I'm going," he left. Just like that.

~

"Mattie sweetie? Aleks isn't here right now, he has lessons but if you want me to—"

"I'm sorry, I don't have anywhere else to go," he began crying. Then as Mrs. Jessen was almost like a second mother to him, she hugged him and told him to sit down.

"Slow down Matthias, tell me what happened," she said, rubbing his back as she set some tea down on the table beside them.

"He died, and it's all my fault..."

Her eyes widened.

"Who honey? Who?" she asked? Keeping her voice motherly and sweet.

"He...he was my best friend in Canada and..."

"There there sweetheart, you can cry, it's okay Matt," she pulled him into a hug. He hugged back and cried silently. People leaving him or leaving people might've been okay, but the thought of them leaving forever... that scared him. Almost as much as it scared Lukas.

~

He found himself at the bridge. That darn bridge. That stupid bridge. He threw a rock into the water.

"Fuck!"he yelled to the stream, then stumbled back, he was lightheaded. But he fell back onto to be caught by a woman.

It took a moment for it to register in her brain, but then she could see it was him.

"You must be Lukas!" she said as she rummaged through her purse, then she found the letter. "Well, this is from Matthias like a month ago, he really liked you," she smiled, then corrected herself, "well I'm sure he still likes you, but you know what I mean," her choice of words made Lukas want to hurl—hurl himself into the river.

"You're his aunt right?" he asked, not bothering to use past tense.

"Yep, well, gotta get going, hope life goes your way," she smiled and rushed off, she had an appointment.

'Wow. How could she be so happy for someone who just lost their nephew?' Lukas thought, then shrugged it off as he opened the letter.

Hi it's Dane,

By the time you get this I'll be gone living some fake life I'll get used to. Jumping off of mountains into rivers, but I guess you won't be there to scream at me so I'll be tempted to climb higher things. I'm gonna come out to my parents though, it's only right. Thank you for everything, my handwriting is horrible, but hey it's something you can look at to remember the stupid kid who sat in the table in the back, the kid who draws weird children and flowers. You probably won't want to be reminded of me though, but I just wanted to give you this. I visited you today actually, fixed your clip. I don't like seeing you like that, your face was so lifeless... but I figured it was better than not seeing you at all. On the bright side, we won't have to do that project huh? I'm leaving in a week and that lady who gave you this, she's my aunt. She's great. I hope you don't forget me, but who knows when I'm coming back. There's nothing special about me but there's a lot special about you. You're amazing and don't let anyone say otherwise, I've been meaning to ask: do you like wearing that suit? Because I think you look hot in normal clothes too, when ur not trying to impress ya know? That was stupid but hey. Well, this is long, um, jeg elsker dig.

I'm supposed to sign my name again but.. :)

Silence. A profound silence.

Then Lukas saw he paper was wet...huh, it wasn't raining. Oh right.

"You have no idea how special you are Dane...love you too I guess," he closed his eyes for a second and leant back on the bridge.

Okay soooooO yea, they think they're both dead, how fun! Sorry if this is rushed. And um, alternate ending:

The teen finally opened his eyes, and he saw the water...the water seemed to calming, so vivid, so welcoming.

Put one foot up.

Now the other.

Say your prayers and close your eyes.

Jump.

~

"Aleks! What happened?!"

"H-he, he's gone..."

~

Romeo and Juliet kinda thing eh? Lol. Oki