✥ chapter eighteen ✥

✥ ✥ ✥

✥ ✥ ✥

I've got a collar full
Of chemistry from your company

✥ ✥ ✥

It was different walking into the club when it was his. The door manager didn't ask for a password and took his coat when he walked in. People greeted him and told him how much they loved his club as well as his performances. He had power for the first time in his life and it felt extremely good. He went straight to the bar for a drink where Pete was waiting with his routine glass of whiskey.

"You look...rich," Pete said, wiping down the bar counter. "The money's coming in fast, huh?"

"Extremely fast," Brendon replied. "I bought three suits and still have money left over and that's just from the first $500. I don't know what to do with the $5000."

"How much?"

"Five thousand dollars," Brendon repeated, enunciating every syllable. "I don't know what to do with that type of money. And more's coming in!"

"That's a lifestyle I could get used to," Pete said. "I mean, look at you. The suit and the hair and the jewelry." He looked at the rings on his fingers. None of them happened to be his wedding ring. "Wait until your little girlfriend sees."

"She's not my girlfriend," Brendon laughed, taking a sip of his whiskey.

"I see the way you two look at each other, Brendon," Pete began, "and I can tell you like each other a lot."

"I do like her, yes. But she's engaged and-"

"Who cares?" Pete cried. "I know that's supposed to be a deal breaker but I'm not sure it is anymore. If you guys are really in love-"

"We're not in love."

"Fine. But there's something there. Go for it. You deserve it. She's sweet."

Brendon sighed at the thought of her. "She is, but I'm not sure I can do it. Moretti is terrifying. You should've seen how he acted toward Tilly the other day. If he's like that to her I can only imagine how he'd be toward me if he ever found out. I can't risk that."

"Can't risk what?" Angelina interjected, sitting on the barstool next to Brendon. She did a double take at his appearance. "Whoa, can I put my drink on your tab?"

"Hello to you too," Brendon laughed. "And yes, I'll pay for your drink. Get whatever you want."

"I'll have the most expensive wine on the shelf then," she told Pete. "So what's it like to be rich, Mr. Urie? Are you even allowed to talk to whores like me?"

"Stop that, Angie. Of course we're allowed to talk."

"This is so strange. All of a sudden we're getting paid twice as much as we used to," Angelina said, accepting her glass of wine. "I'm not complaining, but it is overwhelming." She scanned the suit Brendon was wearing. "Well, I guess some of us are handling it better than others."