✥ chapter thirty ✥

✥✥✥

✥✥✥

You could love me
If I knew how to lie

✥✥✥

The wedding was being held at the courthouse on Main Street at 10 am. Brendon had to force himself out of bed and even contemplated not showing up to spare himself the heartbreak of watching the woman he loved marry another person.

It rained all morning, as if the whole world was mourning the loss of Tilly's bachelorette status. Brendon opted to walk to the courthouse under the protection of his umbrella. He took his time and smoked on the way there, focusing on the exhaust funneling from his lips instead of his destination.

When Brendon arrived, Mary was waiting in the lobby all dressed in black. Her somber expression made this wedding resemble a funeral.

"So glad you could make it," she said, greeting him with a hug. "They're filling out some paperwork at the moment. It shouldn't be too much longer."

Brendon nodded. "Good."

"I know this is hard for you," she said. "I'm not happy about it either."

"I knew this was gonna happen. I don't know why I'm so upset about it."

"Because Henry's a monster," Mary responded with tears welling up in her eyes. "He's whisking her away from me after this is over."

Brendon frowned. "What?"

"They're going away. Somewhere rural and upstate, I don't know," she explained, inhaling to suppress her tears. "Their train leaves in an hour."

"An hour?"

"After they're married they're going to the train station. It's all happening so fast." Mary couldn't keep her emotions bottled up any longer. "I'm afraid he's gonna kill her or something horrible like that. Tilly's like a daughter to me. I feel so powerless."

"Is there anything we can do? This can't happen," Brendon said. He was now more worried about this impromptu train ride than the wedding ceremony.

"Tilly has her mind pretty made up about this," Mary said. "We got in an argument about it last night when Henry bought the tickets. She's so hostile now, it's so unlike her. I don't even know who she is anymore."

Brendon handed her his handkerchief to wipe her tears and pulled her into a hug. He shared the same hopelessness that Mary felt.

"The wedding hasn't even started," Moretti interjected, amused that Mary was in tears. "Why are you crying?"

"This is just very overwhelming," Mary explained, drawing in a breath.

"Well, the minister is ready. Save those tears for five minutes, will you?" Moretti guided Mary into a room down the hall and Brendon followed.